× Members

Clarifying what is asked at a PIP Face to Face

More
4 years 11 months ago #233261 by LilacGem
Can mods/others with experience please clarify.... In the B&W guide (fantastic guide btw - thanks) it describes the questions assessors are likely to ask at a Face to Face.

I had assumed the questions would be asked pretty much the same as the PIP2 form (how yr disability affects you) & in that order
- ie Preparing Food first.... & asked in the same way/order as on the form - ie
Do you use aids?
Do you need help from another person?
Describe how you do it...

And then on to the next Question - Eating & Drinking

But it sounds as if the way they question you at the assessment is fairly random - and using 1 question to cover several descriptors - making it very difficult to remember everything if your conditions are complex?
So they might ask you "do you do your own cooking?" And in answer to that you're expected to tell them all & any issues you have with both preparing food, cooking it, (inc reliably repeatedly, safely, time frame etc), as well as remembering or being prompted to eat from the eating/drinking question?

I ask because all 3 of my conditions - as i imagine is the case for many - are really complex & fluctuating & so i have to prepare for a face to face methodically

I dont know whether it's better to plan answers to the specific Qs on the form, or if better to plan answers prompted by the 'Questions you may be asked at your assessment' list from the B&W guide.

Wondering what others' experiences are in terms of how the questions they were asked married up with the Form they filled in?

(For Mods) -I started this thread separate to my own PIP thread as it not specific to my claim & more general - thought it might help someone else - apologies if that was wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #233264 by BIS
Hi Camly91

The questions you are asked depend on what you filled in on the form and the evidence that you submitted and the assessor themselves. The form the assessor fills in during the assessment is the same for everyone.

Whether you have complex conditions or not, the assessor's main focus is on your ability to meet or not meet the criteria in the questions. not about the conditions themselves. Most assessors will walk through the questions (on the form) in order, but then they might ask you something which seems completely unrelated eg. what was your last job title, how do you manage stairs if you have a limited grip?

The questions in the guide are not an exhaustive list so be prepared that the assessor may throw in something you are not expecting.

They also may not ask you a question you are expecting simply because they believe you have already provided them with the information. (The trouble is that they won't always tell you that during the assessment).

Be prepared, but it is impossible to be absolutely certain the direction the questions will go. It isn't an exam (though some people may say it feels like that). If you don't understand, if you want more time to answer or you need to consult your notes do so.

When the decision is made, it is made not just on the assessment, but also what you wrote and the evidence submitted, so if you forget to say something, but it was submitted in your evidence, it should not count against you.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LilacGem

More
4 years 11 months ago #233308 by LilacGem
Replied by LilacGem on topic Clarifying what is asked at a PIP Face to Face

BIS wrote: Hi Camly91

The questions you are asked depend on what you filled in on the form and the evidence that you submitted and the assessor themselves. The form the assessor fills in during the assessment is the same for everyone.

Whether you have complex conditions or not, the assessor's main focus is on your ability to meet or not meet the criteria in the questions. not about the conditions themselves. Most assessors will walk through the questions (on the form) in order, but then they might ask you something which seems completely unrelated eg. what was your last job title, how do you manage stairs if you have a limited grip?

The questions in the guide are not an exhaustive list so be prepared that the assessor may throw in something you are not expecting.

They also may not ask you a question you are expecting simply because they believe you have already provided them with the information. (The trouble is that they won't always tell you that during the assessment).

Be prepared, but it is impossible to be absolutely certain the direction the questions will go. It isn't an exam (though some people may say it feels like that). If you don't understand, if you want more time to answer or you need to consult your notes do so.

When the decision is made, it is made not just on the assessment, but also what you wrote and the evidence submitted, so if you forget to say something, but it was submitted in your evidence, it should not count against you.

BIS

Thanks BIS for that full & somewhat reassuring answer. I've highlighted in bold the bits i need to clarify pls.

You mention the form they have to fill in... does their form correspond with ours then?

I'm ok with them asking unexpected questions, well, lol not 'fine', but i'm expecting the unexpected. It just seemed to me when reading the list in the guide that they, instead of asking the questions on the form in a straightforward manner, it seems to indicate that they ask questions to try & get the information 'sideways', like in an ESA assessment where if they ask you if you watch tv they're really asking you how long you can sit in a chair for so they can fill in the 'sitting' question without actually asking you the question directly.

The reason i'm concerned about complexity, is that for example if they ask about hobbies - the answer to that covers - mixing with people, going out, moving around, communicating, reading, etc etc & when you have 3 different conditions all which fluctuate - trying to remember to mention it all is overwhelming.

But it sounds as though they shouldn't be starting from scratch - so they are checking or asking for more info about what we've already said on the PIP2 form. So if it's insufficient, they don't understand it, or find it hard to believe. It feels rather like the form was the submitting of evidence & this is the cross examination :(

Thank God for B&W & for this forum & you mods, thank you so very much for your time & efforts

More
4 years 11 months ago #233312 by BIS
Hi Camyl91

If the assessment is held in a centre they use PIPAT software (where they can see all the notes and records online for your claim - but this is not available in someones home. However, the final form all Assessor have to complete is a PA4 Medical Consultation Report.

• The evidence the health professional has looked at, such as a report from your GP.
• A list of all your health conditions.
• A history of your conditions, including recent hospital visits and tests.
• Your current medication and any treatment.
• Your social and occupational history, including who you live with and your current or former job.
• A functional history, including how you spend a typical day and night and any hobbies and interests you have. This section should also include details of how your condition varies and the effect of factors such as pain, fatigue and breathlessness. Any aids or appliances you use should also be listed in this section.
• A description of your general appearance.
• Where relevant, assessments of your:
o mentalstate
o vision, speech and hearing
o cardiovascular/respiratorysystem
o musculoskeletalsystem
o centralnervoussystem
o othersystems(skin,abdomen,etc.).
• Informal observations (see below for details of these).
• The descriptors the HP considers apply to you.
• How long your difficulties with daily living and/or mobility have lasted and are likely to
continue for.
• A summary justification for the conclusions the HP has reached about the effects of your
condition(s).

All the details are in the PIP guide.

I am sure you are aware if you have read any other posts or read the newsletters - some people have a bad experience with assessors and some like myself have been fortunate to have a good one. Try not to worry about mentioning everything because you can't and you'll drive yourself mad afterwards thinking you should have mentioned something you didn't.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #233333 by LilacGem
Replied by LilacGem on topic Clarifying what is asked at a PIP Face to Face

BIS wrote: Hi Camyl91

If the assessment is held in a centre they use PIPAT software (where they can see all the notes and records online for your claim - but this is not available in someones home.

Try not to worry about mentioning everything because you can't and you'll drive yourself mad afterwards thinking you should have mentioned something you didn't.

BIS

LOL you know me so well! Am stressing so much already. But you are right you cant cover all bases, i guess best thing is to focus on the descriptors I sure I should qualify for & get good points & not worry about the rest.

Thank you for your help & reassurance.

I know Home Visits are tricky to get & you need medical request for it. But assuming one does manage to get one, do i understand from what you said that during a home visit the assessor wont be able to see all the PIP2 form & medical evidence for your claim then? - surely they should have read it before hand? but..??
I imagine it pays to check whether they've seen it all before a home visit starts then? And give them copies if not - especially of the medical evidence?

More
4 years 11 months ago #233334 by BIS
Hi Camyll91

Some seem to read (mine had) and others don't. It seems that some don't want to pre-judge before they meet the claimant. Think of that what you will.

I had a home visit and the assessor came with copies of my form and evidence and that's the experience of other people I know who have had home visits.

BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.