× Members

Employment & Support Allowance, partner, dividends

More
4 years 9 months ago #234998 by Rainbright
Hi, I've recently started dating. I'm on Employment and support allowance and have been told I'm unable to ever sustain work. I receive the following

Living expenses 73.10
Disability income guarantee 16.80
Support group 38.55
Income related amount 128.45

DLA low rate care and mobility, I'm process off PIP.
Don't pay council tax due to disability impact so much
Housing benefit, but pay towards and pay bed room tax (expect will have to pay all this?)

My questions:
Is income related ESA same as contributory ESA?
If he was to move in, he's self employed. How will I be affected?
If he claims low income, but claims dividends end off year will this affect things?
24 hour rule apply?
What the earnings scale?

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #235009 by Gordon
Rainbright

Is income related ESA same as contributory ESA?

No, ESA(IR) is affected by your household income, savings and assets and any hours that a partner works.

If he was to move in, he's self employed. How will I be affected?

It's impossible to give a definitive answer. Your ESA(IR) will increase to the couples rate, about £40/week extra but any income over £20/week will reduce your ESA(IR) £ for £. Also, his savings and assets will be added to yours and if they exceed £6000 then your ESA(IR) will be reduced and if the total exceeds £16,000 then your ESA(IR) will stop/

If he claims low income, but claims dividends end off year will this affect things?

Yes, they will still be treated as income.

24 hour rule apply?

Yes, if he works 24 or more hours a week then your ESA(IR) will stop.

What the earnings scale?

See previous answer.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.