× Members

on ESA, previously self employed

More
4 years 8 months ago #236124 by Haseena
on ESA, previously self employed was created by Haseena
Hi there,

I was self employed until April 2018.Since then I have been signed off sick and am now in the support group for ESA.

I've received a letter with a 5 page questionnaire from Jobcentreplus re:ESA. They ask if I have a job with a yes or no tick box.They then say if I am off work because I am sick or pregnant, still tick yes. I am confused.

Being self employed, of course I can return to self employment as soon as I am fit enough to do so.

If I tick no, they ask me what my last job was and then to sign the form.

If I tick yes, the questions span the next two and a half pages. They ask questions including; 1. how much I get paid 2. who my employer is 3. If I claimed SSP 4. if I received ssp etc...

I am not sure what to say, as my job was self employment and I can return as soon as I am well enough to do so.

I would appreciate and advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #236130 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic on ESA, previously self employed
Hi Has

I would ring the DWP to clarify matters with them.

This is my take on it - though it is not my area of expertise.

You are going to have to make a choice here. You say you 'were' self-employed. I don't know what you did (and it doesn't matter) - only were you under a contract to someone else - do you run your own business or have you stopped whatever you were doing in April 2018 and if you were going to return to work - would you try to do something new - albeit self -employed?

If there is nothing in place for you to go to work tomorrow - then you don't currently have a job. You would only have one if you were under contract to someone, or you were running a business

If you decide to tick 'no' then you still put down yourself as your last employer.

If you tick yes - then you will put down current details of your self-employment (even though you are sick).

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Haseena

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris