× Members

I need Help please, DLA/PIP UC ESA I

More
4 years 7 months ago #236367 by jebbo
Hello, I've just joined, can anyone please help me understand, how i get help through this Forum? I've paid the fee & I'm not sure how everything helps.
I am disabled from birth, with left hemiparesis cerebral palsy, I worked until 30 years ago, when I lost my job through my walking, ruining my facet joints in my spine & am in receipt of ESA support group contributory, DLA high mobility middle care ,I have recently though had to claim for my wife on UC, who has now got mental health due to a situation created by her employer & then they dismissed her on ill health & stopped her getting her pension. I have a pip assessment on the 9th Sept.
I asked when they sent the pip form, if they could use my DLA paperwork & was told yes, I had help from Citizens advice fill in the pip form. I was then invited to a assessment miles from my home. I had this appt cancelled. I was then contacted by phone to arrange another appointment., I told the lady that I have a degenerative condition & she said you've sent no evidence with your form, I said you're using my DLA paperwork, she said no we have no access to it. Due to this I have had no time to see my Doctor to get a updated form, although I have managed to get a Dr appt on the 6th September, 3 days before assessment in my home town.
I told them that they had sent 3 years ago, saying I would have a home appt & that they never got in touch with me again until now, as due to my disability & being tall, I needed a higher seated chair with arms to help me get up & down & that due to sleeping problems could I please have a afternnon appt, as a reasonable adjustment under the EA 2010.
The lady told me , I will hold off appt, while you get report from GP & we could look at doing it by paperwork. I said thank you I will get the GP to write to you.
Well I received the pip appt for the 9th about 5 days later.
I rang assessment & said by not giving me the full facts about using DLA paperwork, you've put me in a position of not being able to get a GP report in before assessment, & I would like a reasonable adjustment for a suitable chair even if you can't change the time.
the answer was their should be a suitable chair it's a doctors surgery you're going to?
I rang the DWP & a really nice guy, went & asked what should happen with long term DLA moving to pip, & he was told that long term DLA can be used as evidence. He suggested that if I was not happy I should complain to assessment.
I rang back assessment & said, you can use it DWP says you can. I got the old GDPR from the Manager, I said I've given you permission so no problem. I then get well we need up to date information, some people have got beter, I asked what part of degenerative do you not understand? I told her I was putting in an official complaint, as far as I'm concerned they are breaching my human rights & the EA 2010 , as I was asking for reasonable adjustments.
I'm stuck & don't know what to do??
Our property is on the market, as my wife now has a disability created by her employer, hopefully it will sell before, i have no money coming in & the bank swoops in.
I've rang to try & get free prescriptions, they have told me I can't have them, unless I can get UC.
The train lines feel like an option, but what would happen to my family, plus I worked on the tubes in London & saw what happened to drivers mental health after a suicide.
I was on suicide watch 6 years ago, my wife is now on £58 per week pip, after slogging herself to death in a busy A&E for 14 years.
Please someone help direct me on this forum, I'm lost & just need a leg up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue Smith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236370 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic I need Help please, DLA/PIP UC ESA I
Hi Jez
Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

PIP Assessment on 9th September
Unfortunately, as this is the second appointment you have been offered you have no choice but to go to it. If you don't then your claim will be returned to the DWP with the risk of your case being closed. You have an appointment on the 6th and hopefully, the doctor will be able to write you a letter of support by then. and you can give it to the assessor when you go to the assessment centre. You could also look at our guide called GP Notes which some people have printed off and their GP has been willing to fill in.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You can also prepare for the assessment by looking at our PIP guide which will tell you the sorts of questions you may be asked at the assessment which you can find starting on page 74 of the guide.

Re: Finding a suitable chair
I think it is highly unlikely there will be a suitable chair for you at the centre - you could ring and ask the centre - but you will still have to go. I know it seems unfair but you do not want to risk your claim.

Using old DLA evidence for PIP
There are many people who were given indefinite awards on DLA and although people might use some of their old evidence - it has always been the case that people have needed to provide up to date evidence even when you have a degenerative condition - because it may make a difference at which rates you are awarded. I think you were badly advised by the DWP themselves and it is something you may want to complain about later.

Other issues
I'm sorry that I am unable to help you with the other issues you speak about. If you need any advice about money, you may want to seek help from the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: jebbo

More
4 years 7 months ago #236384 by jebbo
Replied by jebbo on topic I need Help please, DLA/PIP UC ESA I
Thank you kindly for your response & I will follow your advice about the appointment.
i will read through the links you have given, I just wish that I didn't have this disability at all, I've tried so hard to get medical help to get back into work, all to no avail.
I would rather be grafting at work, than in this position.
I will update what happens after the 9th September.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236387 by jebbo
Replied by jebbo on topic I need Help please, DLA/PIP UC ESA I
Thank you for your advice I will follow it, & see what my doctor can do in the 3 days.
I don't mind being assessed, but I've had so much contradictory advice from the assessors, & then the DWP telling me the opposite, I could have seen my GP at the outset I told them & they could have had as much info they required. I stupidly thought by signing the form, that they could get in touch with my GP would be ok, but they then told me, that Gp's are worried about GDPR, so they wouldn't ask without me giving the GP a letter.???
All I can say is common sense went years ago, why did they just not say in the first instance could you get a up to date report from your GP please?
I'm sorry for the rant, maybe you can see how my experience with these people has been with me before i even go, I could get more sense out of a toilet door.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236388 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic I need Help please, DLA/PIP UC ESA I
Hi Jez

You are not alone in your frustration, follow BIS's advice below and the link, it will help you get through this ordeal.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: jebbo

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.