× Members

SUPPORTED PERMITTED WORK AND THE £16,000 SAVINGS L

More
4 years 7 months ago #236426 by Juderetski
When DWP calculate your savings do they include money earned from Supported Permitted Work? I know it is disregarded but what if it accumulates in an account? Are you supposed to spend the money?
For example, I read in the Disability Rights Handbook that although PIP is disregarded if you save it up, say for a wheelchair, it can be counted as capital… Is it the same PW or SPW?
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236435 by Gary
Hi Waxi

Capital includes savings, investments, some lump-sum payments and the value of property and land(but if you own the home you live in, the value of your home, garden, garage and outbuildings is not taken into account). Certain types of capital can be disregarded such as money set aside for special purposes such as proceeds of the sale of your former home if you intend to use this to buy another home, compensation for personal injury if it is held in trust, benefir arrears paid in the last 12 months. If you are self employed , any assets used wholly or mainly for your business are disregarded.

It would make no difference PW or SPW, if you are of working age and have savings over £6k then your means tested benefits may be affected, (tariff income).

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 7 months ago #236466 by Juderetski
Thank you. I am not in receipt of any income related benefit at the moment, just CB-ESA and PIP as have savings over £16,000. But that would reduce in time and I just wanted to know if the permitted work/SPW money counts. Looks like it would.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236501 by Gary
Hi waxl

If you saved the PW/SPW money then it would go into the savings pot. If you have savings over £16k then you would not be able to claim SDP.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.