× Members

Pip upgrade to enhanced mobility, Is it worth the

More
4 years 6 months ago #238459 by Jarl
Hello everyone, I have been on the standard rate pip for about 5 years now after lung cancer an having shortness of breath due to lobectomy. Recently I have been finding it difficult / painful to walk. Dr's have said it is arthritis in both knees. I have good days and bad ones. Ranging from pain while walking to pain while sitting.
My question is, in the assessments they ask if you can walk a certain distance. Is this without pain, as I could probably walk over the 50 metres mark but I know I would be in much more pain the longer I walk.
Some days I can only do 10 to 15 metres without being in a lot of pain.
I don't want to apply for higher grade if I am not going to get and jeopardise my standard mobility allowance.
All help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #238464 by BIS
Hi K

Only you can decide whether you want to report a 'change of circumstances' due to a deterioration in your health. Be aware - it will trigger a reassessment and they will look at the entire award. The question to ask yourself in terms of your mobility is whether or not you are restricted and in pain for more of the time than you are not. And also whether when you are walking whether you are twice as slow as someone who does not have your condition.

Only you know whether it's worth the stress.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 6 months ago #238549 by Jarl
Thanks for the reply Bis....

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.