× Members

Help needed during the night, does it not count an

More
4 years 4 months ago #239954 by lindat
Trying to clarify things in DM report. She says she cannot award points for help needed to get out of bed. I was in receipt of high care because I seize up if immobile and because of irritable bladder my poor hb has to heave me out of bed and to the loo several times a night. I assume this is what she is referring to as mentioned in days diary sent with pip. Oh also that she cannot give points because I cannot use public transport, I can't but do not understand why she specifically picked it out to mention.
Thank you Linda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #239976 by Gordon
lindat

DLA considered whether a claimant had care needs during the day, the night or both, PIP with some limited exceptions takes no account of the time of day it is orientated on the actual activities and tasks defined in the PIP Descriptors.

Is it possible that you did not describe your problems getting out of bed in order to use the toilet in a way that linked them to the Managing Toilets needs activity?

Did you score for the Moving Around activity? If you did not or only scored for walking and not for standing then this may also suggest a reason.

Although the DWP guidance includes a requirement for Public Transport the actual Descriptors make no mention of it and we regularly see claimants receive the comment that you mention.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 4 months ago #240016 by lindat
We ticked sometimes and told them about aids which enabled me to not need help during the day and added that due to periods immobile causes me to seize up so needed to stretch for 15-20 minutes, so in the night hb has to help me out of bed and to the toilet anywhere from twice to 8 times holds the record. I swear he sleep walks it now :blush: DM gave me points for needing aids but not for needing help. Okay thanks again.
Linda

More
4 years 4 months ago #240022 by Gordon
lindat

This may be due to your not needing help all of the time. DLA considered the majority of the time for PIP it is the majority of days, whilst a claimant can be considered as being unable to complete an activity for the whole day if they are unable to complete it for part of the day, the DM may have looked at what you have said and decided that this does not apply to your circumstances.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: lindat

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.