× Members

Want to introduce myself, my pip journey and hope

More
4 years 3 months ago #243213 by Sasha
Hiya.. I want to introduce myself and my pip story so far and hope for some support.

I've always struggled from a young age. By high school I wasn't able to do a full day in school and was dropped out of some classes.
I dropped out of college, then out of an apprenticeship then went from job to job and couldn't hold a job for more than 6 months at a time.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia 14 years ago aged 19 and was awarded dla at the age of 20/21. I had regular care from a mental health nurse and had been on dla since. The move over to pip started about 6 years ago. I lost my mental health nurse and had to reapply on my own, I was awarded zero points. I thought maybe I'm not really ill, maybe I don't need care and I was scared I'd lose my house.
My family encouraged me to do the mandatory reconsideration and go to the tribunal. I won three years pip at the tribunal (most already know the timescales and stress of these things so I won't go into all of that.)
2 years later pip call me back for a reassessment - I went with my sister this time and was awarded 4 points for daily living and 4 points for mobility. So no pip.
I went to tribunal again and two days before I was due at the hearing, DWP left a voicemail saying new evidence meant they wanted to make me an offer. I was to scared to call them back and went to the tribunal alone with my 11 year old as no one could attend with me.
The judge told me that the DWP had breached the old court order by bringing me in for reassessment too early and that they were ordering the DWP to reinstate my benifits back as they were for 1 more year.
Great - but now one year later I have all this stress again. Like, really?
So my pip is due to stop at the beginning of March.
The DWP sent me a letter last month saying if I still want to receive pip, I need to call for a form to reapply.
So now I have a form to make a fresh claim and all I want to do is run away from all of this.
They will stop my money in march and if the last two claim processes are anything to go by, I won't be in receipt of pip until the end of the year.

Any insight or support is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #243218 by BIS
Hi Sasha

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I know this is particularly stressful but you will need to act quickly.

1. You seem to have received a form to make a new claim, but surely you should have received a review form. If it is to make a new claim I would ring the DWP and ask why it is not a review. It should be continuous. Review forms are easier than starting from scratch - so find out if you can.

2. Do you have a GP or anyone from your local mental health team who can write an up to date letter for you? Particularly in the area of mental health the DWP likes to know how you are currently. If you can get a letter, then do so.

3. Do you have any friends or relatives who can write a supporting statement about how you are and have been recently. If so get them to do so to add to your application.

4. I know you're terrified, but you cannot afford to run away from this. Whether they want you to do a review or put in a new claim - we have good guides on how to do it and you need to tackle it a bit at a time. First off either ring the DWP or ask a family member to (though you will need to be there while they do it)

You can download the big PIP guide here www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Or you can read each individual section online
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claim...pip/pip-claims-guide

Or if it turns out you only have to complete a review form -
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claim...ip-award-review-form

Come back and ask if you have further questions.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 3 months ago #243229 by Sasha
Thanks for your response.
I called DWP, they said because the courts over ruled their previous decision that I had to start a fresh claim.
I called the HM courts they said I have to go alone with the DWPs protocol

More
4 years 3 months ago #243230 by Sasha
I've got myself into a bit of a pickle with isolating myself from people. I've had to leave my family and can't trust them for support. I'm on my own with my son, I don't have any mental health care but the doctors are trying to get me a mental health nurse again.
I have a private online therapist that takes care of me but they aren't able provide a letter or anything of that sort due to the therapy being online.

More
4 years 3 months ago #243232 by BIS
Hi Sasha

If you could even get a letter from your GP saying they are trying to get you support would be a help.

You know that you can always access your GP records or hospital records if you want to - though there is a cost. Only do this if you're strong enough to read what someone might have written that you don't like and only if you think it could back up your case.

If they were over-ruled last time at the tribunal - you should include a copy of that judgment.

Otherwise, read through our guide and make sure that you answer clearly how your mental health impacts on your ability to fulfill the PIP criteria.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 3 months ago #243234 by Sasha
Thank you. I found an organisation called Serenity that have a drop in session that can help me fill in the forms.. You guys must be so overwhelmed with requests for help too that I won't go on.. Some thing stops me from reaching out to the doctors for help and I barely ever go.. I'm going to have to get over it and ask for support.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.