× Members

DLA to PIP assessment

More
4 years 2 months ago #243763 by Silverfox656
DLA to PIP assessment was created by Silverfox656
Dear Sir or Madam, I have today received a letter from the DWP informing me that I have to apply for PIP as my DLA is ending. I had my last assessment for work two weeks before I retired in March 2017 and thought that I would be ok after passing that. I have mental health issues that are being made worse by the thoughts of what is to come and find it so difficult to imagine a positive outcome, can you help in anyway please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243765 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic DLA to PIP assessment
Hi Patrick

Most claimants who transfer from DLA to PIP have a face to face assessment.

You can read about the entire PIP process either by downloading our comprehensive PIP guide -
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

or by reading each section online
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claim...pip/pip-claims-guide

There is a lot to take in and if you don't have anyone to help you, then taking each section a day at a time may help to make the process less stressful.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 2 months ago #243905 by Silverfox656
Replied by Silverfox656 on topic DLA to PIP assessment
Thanks BIS, I will look at the guides and hopefully I can make sense of them. The problem is that my memory is not good at all since my serious RTC in 2007, I cannot remember recent activities or what I did from day to day. I have to reply to the letter by the 29/02/2020, that is to accept the offer of moving on to PIP. Is it wise to reply sooner rather than later? Regards Patrick

More
4 years 2 months ago #243911 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic DLA to PIP assessment
Hi Patrick

It does not make a lot of difference, you don't want to leave it too late as getting through by phone can be a nightmare at times which will then increase your anxiety levels. I would give yourself 2 weeks before the deadline to enable yourself to get prepared and read the guides.

What you have to remember is that PIP was engineered to be a more difficult to award than DLA, many DLA claimants will receive vastly reduced awards or even no award at all on transfer.

DLA looks at generic care needs in regard to bodily functions, PIP looks at the claimants specific ability to carry out an activity such as eating. DLA was awarded because the claimant needed an amount of care (in time) during the day, the night of both, to help them with that bodily function. PIP looks at the claimant's ability to complete specific tasks within the activity and is points-based, these are clearly defined and it is easy not to score points because the claimant has not shown that they meet those specific criteria.

DLA treated the use of aids as a reason to reduce the amount of care needed, PIP treats aids as an indication of disability and in general they score extra points.

DLA's care need was reasonably generic, PIP treats prompting, assistance and supervision as different activities and as a result, they can score different points.

DLA required that the care was required for the majority of the time, for PIP it is the majority of days.

For PIP activities must be completed reliably, this means

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

Although DLA considers these terms, they are poorly defined as they are implemented through Case Law rather than being defined in the legislation as they are for PIP.

Referring to any more recent evidence you have is more useful.

If you have any specific questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silverfox656

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.