× Members

Settlement of PIP before tribunal

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #246779 by Margaret Lebeau
Replied by Margaret Lebeau on topic Settlement of PIP before tribunal
Thank you so much for all your comments and help so far.
Reading through all your resources on PIP, I got the impression that you needed to have a knowledge of the law., which obviously I don't have. Also our adviser was keen to point out that I could loose what has already been offered by the DWP at tribunal, so I am very nervous about doing it on my own.
Do you know if the 77% success rate applies to paper-based applications too?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #246782 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Settlement of PIP before tribunal
Hi Margaret

If the judge at the tribunal thinks that you could lose what has already been offered, they will inform you and give you the opportunity to withdraw your appeal in which case the DWP's original offer would stand.

You do not have to have any knowledge of the law to put in an appeal. Some people do search to see if there have been any PIP Appeals arguing specific points that may be similar to their own, to try and back up their case, but it is not a necessity. The judge will be very aware of the law and they will make their judgement using it. What you need to do is show with your medical evidence and what you wrote, why the DWP were incorrect in their scoring. If you can get any additional evidence, like a letter from someone who knows you, then you can include it.

I don't have figures on the breakdown of success rates, though face to face is always better. However, many people don't feel able to do that and they go on to win their paper-based appeals.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #246909 by Margaret Lebeau
Replied by Margaret Lebeau on topic Settlement of PIP before tribunal
Thank you BIS. Your reply was encouraging, but in the end I made the decision to accept standard rate DLA. simply because I feel unable to deal with the stress of coping with the paperwork myself, and of the uncertainty of the decision hanging over me for so long..

I appreciate I will have the right of appeal again once I receive the paperwork., but don;t think I will be able to face it.

I feel disappointed after all the time and effort I put into bringing the appeal to this stage, but in the end I have to think of my health and will have to manage somehow.

Thank you for help.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #246958 by Esme999
Replied by Esme999 on topic Settlement of PIP before tribunal
Sometimes Margaret we have to do what is right for us with regards to our mental health and well being. I too accepted an award that was not what I thought I was entitled to but due to the longevity of the award being 10 years I thought it was more beneficial to me that have to continue to fight the system and not be guaranteed to be any better off. xx

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.