× Members

RELAPSE: UNIVERSAL CREDIT, ESA OLD STYLE OR ESA NE

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #246933 by citizenschambers
RELAPSE: UNIVERSAL CREDIT, ESA OLD STYLE OR ESA NE was created by citizenschambers
I was on ESA for 10 years. I asked DWP to stop my ESA because I was starting a new job in March. I have relapsed in my mental health and unable to go to work. I have been given conflicting information by DWP staff on what benefit to claim. One staff said I should claim Universal Credit because I do not have sufficient NI contribution ( but I have NI credits for about 10 years). Another staff said I can claim old style ESA. Another staff said New Style ESA. I am confused. My ESA stopped on 27 February 2020. I relapsed this April. Could you kindly put me in the right direction please as I have no regular salary from work; salary payment date will be 5th May for April month starting from 21 March to 20th April.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #246949 by Gordon
Victoria

The legacy ESA linking rules are still in effect

Linking rules
145.—(1) Any period of limited capability for work which is separated from another such period by not more than 12 weeks is to be treated as a continuation of the earlier period.

So, you should still be within the 12 weeks and should be able to reclaim the ESA that you were receiving before and at the same rate, although it is possible that you will now be reassessed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #246955 by citizenschambers
Replied by citizenschambers on topic RELAPSE: UNIVERSAL CREDIT, ESA OLD STYLE OR ESA NE
Thank you Gordon. Please do you know which form I need to claim the old style ESA?

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #246956 by Gordon
Victoria

You should not need to complete a form, contact the DWP office that was dealing with your claim, they should be able to reactivate your previous claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: citizenschambers

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.