× Members

Post graduate study & PIP (etc.)

More
3 years 6 months ago #251646 by SeanM
Post graduate study & PIP (etc.) was created by SeanM
Hi all,

Thanks to B&W and my PIP for finally coming through, I can actually start looking to the future and plan ahead. I still cannot describe how grateful I am.

With that being said, after doing some reflecting and speaking to a lot of health professionals familiar with me, It honestly would be best if I were to find employment outside of the 9-5 relm or go back into study.

With my background in what I do, I can take up freelance work and work on my own schedule. My immediate family are also being supportive, so I may end up moving out of my flat / office job to try and build up an alternative career. The immediate health benefits for me would be astronomical, as 99% of all the anguish I've suffered in these last few years have been work-related.

Going back to university to do a Masters degree in my field is also a posibility. Of course, doing a masters is quite expensive, so I'm trying to get as much info as I can about what I could potentially claim with my PIP so I can work out if it is even possible. I'm aware of DSA and will be looking into that. Even if I were to do one, it'd take a good few years at least to even attempt to build up enough funds. I'm also aware that my PIP could be reconsidered, however I am quite confident that this wont happen as the course I want to do is very much desk-based and does not contradict anything I have declared on my PIP. The DWP is full of surprises, however...

So, I have a few questions about what exactly I can claim.

Quick background:
- Standard Daily Living for PIP.
- Over 25.
- Have not previously claimed working tax credits.
- Have not previously claimed ESA.
- Would most likely be living alone in shared accommodation. Ideally in a self-contained flat.

Am I correct in thinking that I can claim ESA whilst doing a post-graduate degree?

I have not been assessed for ESA as right now, I have found employment and thus do not need it. However, would it be possible to be assessed for ESA whilst working so if/when I do make the switch, I would not have to wait for the results of the assessment outcome? I'm cautious of this as I ended up waiting nearly a year for my PIP to come through.

Would any potential scholarships (I can dream haha) be counted as income?

What's the deal with working tax credits? I've read conflicting statements. If I worked for 16 hours per week (freelance or otherwise), would I qualify for them?

(might be slightly outside the scope of the forum) - For postgraduate study, would it be possible to claim UC or Housing Benefit?

Is there any other funding sources I should look into?

Thanks again for your continued help and support.

- INTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #251654 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Post graduate study & PIP (etc.)
INTD

You won't be able to claim ESA unless you have been in both of the Tax Years 2017-18 and 208-19 in which case you may be able to claim New Style ESA, failing that and providing your studies are not full time then you can claim Universal Credit.

If you are already working then your only option is UC, you can ask to be assessed for Limited Capability for Work but this will require you to provide a Fit Note, would your GP be willing to provide one?

Any income that you have. be it from working or student loans will potentially affect the amount of UC that you might receive, New Style ESA would not be affected.

You can cannot make a new claim for Tax Credits it has been replaced by UC, ditto Housing Benefit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanM

More
3 years 6 months ago #251666 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Post graduate study & PIP (etc.)
Hi INTD

Slight typo error ....

Gordon's last paragraph should say 'You can not make a new claim for Tax Credits it has been replaced by UC, ditto Housing Benefit'.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, SeanM

More
3 years 6 months ago #251669 by SeanM
Replied by SeanM on topic Post graduate study & PIP (etc.)
Hi Both,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That's really cleared things up for me. That being said, I am slightly confused at the official gov.uk's wording. (see here: www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and...e-studying-full-time)

The course I want to do would be full-time for 2 years, and I am aware under normal circumstances full-time students would not be able to apply. From that link, it states that if I am in receipt of PIP and have LCW, then I'd be able to be in receipt of Universal Credit. This isn't the first time the Gov website has left me astray however. It's almost like they're being purposefully misleading. That was the main reason why I made this post in the first place as I was pretty sure that wasn't right.

In terms of if my GP would be willing to give a note, I'm not sure. I am in the middle of moving GP as they seem to panic at the fact I am prescribed ADHD medication and constantly withhold it (it's a whole thing that's being dealt with). So the answer is a solid maybe. I am hoping given my very large medical documentation that this should be OK. I've read through the criteria + overlap with PIP and I can see that I would qualify.

Additionally, the University I'd want to go to would be in a different area than I am in now. I think I should probably pick this up with an adviser somewhere and explain my full circumstances with them. Would it be best to do so in the area I would be studying, or would speaking to a local citizen's advice suffice?

Thanks again for your help.

More
3 years 6 months ago #251688 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Post graduate study & PIP (etc.)
INTD

Here's the Catch-22 that the GovUK site does not expain.

To receive UC as a full-time student you need to be receiving PIP and to have Limited Capability for Work (LCW), you have the PIP but the LCW, to get the LCW you need to be receiving UC but you can't get the UC because you don't have the LCW,,,

Gordon

More
3 years 6 months ago #251730 by SeanM
Replied by SeanM on topic Post graduate study & PIP (etc.)

Gordon wrote: INTD

Here's the Catch-22 that the GovUK site does not expain.

To receive UC as a full-time student you need to be receiving PIP and to have Limited Capability for Work (LCW), you have the PIP but the LCW, to get the LCW you need to be receiving UC but you can't get the UC because you don't have the LCW,,,

Gordon

I... what?

That's a bit daft isn't it!

Thank you a tonne Gordon for clearing up my understanding of this. That should really be more obvious. Wow.

So basically, apart from DSA there isn't that much the government offers for disabled post graduates without going through loads of weird loopholes. Annoying, but expected unfortunately. I will still contact the uni I'm interested in to see if they have any assistance but I am still flabbergasted at this.

Thanks again Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.