× Members

PIP & ME/CFS – fatigue/exhaustion

More
3 years 6 months ago #251650 by judexx
PIP & ME/CFS – fatigue/exhaustion was created by judexx
Hi

I have ME, I have looked through the guide but am still unsure which descriptor applies to me for Section 4 – Washing & Bathing.

Most days, due to severe fatigue, I can not manage to have a shower and when I do I can not manage to do anything else that morning. I could never mange to have a shower in the morning and then again in the evening (eg after a hot day).

Should 4g. ‘Cannot wash and bathe at all and needs another person to wash their entire body’ be the correct descriptor ?

Many thanks for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #251657 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP & ME/CFS – fatigue/exhaustion
judexx

You may struggle to score for 4g as you say that there are times when you can shower even if it has a knock-on effect on your health. I'm not saying that you cannot score for this Descriptor but you will need to do a lot of work if you to meet the requirements for it.

For example. you will need to explain why aids do help you shower and why "prompting, supervision or assistance" from someone else would not help to complete the activity. You need to look at this for each activity that you are hoping to score for.

Are you using our PIP Claim guide?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 6 months ago #251664 by Evelyn
Replied by Evelyn on topic PIP & ME/CFS – fatigue/exhaustion
judexx , I have CFS and fibromyalgia and found that using the diary pages found on this site helped me verbalise and evidence my daily struggle. For me, that descriptor was easy as my husband, who is my carer, helps me in and out of the bath, but I know what you mean as the effort leaves me exhausted
If you remember its about how your condition affects your life, rather than what condition you have then it becomes easier to understand how PIP works
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
3 years 6 months ago #251667 by judexx
Replied by judexx on topic PIP & ME/CFS – fatigue/exhaustion
Thanks Gordon & Suzy - yes I'm using the guide - I'm just struggling as to how to fit my problems into their boxes (if you see what I mean :( )

So I'm probably more realistic since
4d. Needs assistance to be able to wash either their hair or body below the waist. 2 points.
4e. Needs assistance to be able to get in or out of a bath or shower. 3 points.
4f. Needs assistance to be able to wash their body between the shoulders and waist. 4 points.

all apply, to hope for 4 points ?

Think I just got myself confused, by trying to just tick one box, forgetting that more than one could apply - does that seem more realistic ?

Thanks

More
3 years 6 months ago #251687 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP & ME/CFS – fatigue/exhaustion
Jude

So be aware, the PIP Descriptors are specific, what I mean by this is that you must show that you cannot complete each task, reliably and/or in the majority of days, meeting one task does not imply that you will meet another's requirements.

Also, don't assume that those assessing you will understand your condition and limitations, the DM has no medical training and although the assessor should have had training about ME/CFS, unless they have direct experience of dealing with people with this condition then the reality is that they won't understand.

So, explain your issues in detail, as ME is a variable condition, don't forget to explain when and for how long you are affected. Have a good read of the reliability criteria.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 6 months ago #251721 by judexx
Replied by judexx on topic PIP & ME/CFS – fatigue/exhaustion
Thanks Gordon

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. What I meant was that since I struggle to wash myself and wash my hair. I could explain how each of these descriptors apply, and if they accept what I say (big 'if' I know), I could expect 4 points ?

Thanks

judexx wrote: 4d. Needs assistance to be able to wash either their hair or body below the waist. 2 points.
4e. Needs assistance to be able to get in or out of a bath or shower. 3 points.
4f. Needs assistance to be able to wash their body between the shoulders and waist. 4 points.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.