× Members

ESA - New Style, Contributions-based, Income-based

More
2 years 5 months ago #265811 by Brassed Off
Can anyone confirm how to check if I am on the New style ESA, Contribution-based ESA or
Income-based ESA?

I need to know if my benefit is means-tested and will affect what savings I have?

My letter states the following.......

How Employment and Support Allowance has been worked out;
THE EMPLOYMENT AND SUPPORT ALLOWANCE AWARD

The Payment of Employment & Support Allowance is based on your National Insurance Contribution records and any additional amount the law says you need to live on.

You Living expenses £74.10
LIMITED CAPABILITY FOR WORK ADDITION
Extra money because you are in the Support Group £39.40
Which gives a total income-related amount of £114.10

INCOME AND BENEFITS

No Income will be taken off your Employment and Support Allowance
Your Income-related amount is £114.10 less £0.00 so you would have been entitled to £114.10
However because you are entitled to Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance we will pay you £115.10

TOP-UP PAYMENT

Included in your Employment and Support Allowance entitlement is a top-up payment which ensures you won't see a reduction in the level of your benefit entitlement as a result of the chnage in Employment & Support Allowance £1.00

The amounts on this page apply form14th April 2021 to 30th November 2021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265816 by Gary
Hi Brassed Off

NS ESA goes hand in hand with UC and CB ESA goes hand in hand with IR ESA (legacy benefits).
NS ESA is contribution base whereas UC is means tested.
CB ESA is contribution based whereas IR ESA is means tested ( these benefits are called legacy benefits)

From reading the contents of what you have written I would say that you are in receipt of CB ESA, in the breakdown it states "The Payment of Employment & Support Allowance is based on your National Insurance Contribution records and any additional amount the law says you need to live on"

Some claimants can get both IR ESA and CB ESA depending on their circumstances, you cannot get any disability premiums with CB ESA but you can with IR ESA which is why some claimants can get both, IR ESA and CB ESA.

For peace of mind I would contact ESA and ask, just tell them you find it confusing due to the terminology used in their letter.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 5 months ago #265822 by traceytracey
Replied by traceytracey on topic ESA - New Style, Contributions-based, Income-based
Hi Brassed off,

I am on the same CB ESA and support group which is £114.10pw, I think that maybe the extra £1 is an IR ESA top-up? Maybe you can get other benefits because of this?

As Gary said it is always best to check with DWP, basically i have said the same as Gary, perhaps I should read properly lol. :)

Traceytracey
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.