× Members

Dreaded mortgage reduction letter arrived!!!

• martha
13 years 7 months ago #27485 by martha
I totally agree with survivor. I too lost my house after my accident. A little thatch cottage with a spiral stair case. my dream home but Not much use when you cant walk. I never went home after leaving hospital. Friends and family packed my belongings. I felt totally out of control.
I have always owed my home and felt completely insecure when I lost it.
But my views have changed. Its my stuff around me, I have made this house my home.
I now live in a Trust house.(rented) A country cottage estate with a squire and farm workers. I never have to worry about maintenance or if I get ill, there is always someone who will come.
When we had the snow last Christmas I was too ill to light the fire, the farm lads came round each day and kept my wood burner going. They bought veg and even a goose!!
During the summer they laid me a lawn and planted flower beds.
I have saved money too: no building insurance, etc
If it happens , don’t think of it as a loss…it can be a new beginning.
The topic has been locked.
  • millymoo
  • Topic Author
13 years 7 months ago #27486 by millymoo
Hi all

Thank you so much for sharing this with me and for your kind words they are very much appreciated. Well after a lot of thinking i have decided to go to my local link on monday and get the ball rolling. Re my last post it could be doing me a big favour as the stairs are a nightmare. Plus if i was able to get a bungalow it would be a lot easier t manage than my current 3 bedroom house. When i think about it i rattle round it. I have a very large garden that takes a lot of looking after and i have to pay to get hat done.

I feel so much more positive about it now, it really isnt worth it.

Taffy you also sound like you have had more than your fair share of things. You too survivor and yet you all take the time to respond. Martha it sounds great where you are living now, they say some things happen for a reason.

Thank you all

Mm:)
  • Ranald
13 years 7 months ago #27492 by Ranald
Milly
The trouble with being a home owner is that you will be at the back of the queue until you are actually homeless.

My ex and the kids had to inform the council when the FMH (former marital home) was actually sold and ended up on several guest houses before being given a fully furnished temporary flat with our (her!) :angry: furniture in storage.

I myself was given a 1 bed flat after sleeping on other people's couches for 7 months and although it was not big enough for the kids to stay over in comfort i had no choice but to accept.

The system can be very unfair and i strongly advice you to seek advice from Welfare Rights and CAB without delay.

Best wishes, Ranald.
  • millymoo
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #27523 by millymoo
Hi Ranald

Thank you for sharing your expereience with me as i am open to any advice at the minute. I dont think i could cope with sleeping in different places until i can be housed. I will contact CAB without delay just so i can see which way i should go. I will still call at my local link as i will take as much advice as i can and try and make a decision from there. All of this has flared up my crohn's and joints so i know its going to be a rocky road which i refuse to give up on :angry:

Once again thank you
Mm :)
More
13 years 6 months ago #27542 by tommo
Surely this cannot be right that you can end up homeless if your disabled and receiving DLA ? :unsure:
  • Ranald
13 years 6 months ago #27549 by Ranald
Hi Tommo
Being on DLA and being disabled doesn't entitle us to special treatment mate, my reason for ending up in that situation was divorce but it could have easily been because of my disability or unemployment, whatever.
If you as a home owner apply for social housing then obviously you would be considered to be in less need than someone who was homeless or just been released from prison etc.
The system prioritises based on an individuals current needs and those who are already housed are not top priority but if you were to lose that house then it is a different matter.

Ranald.
Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.