× Members

Dreaded mortgage reduction letter arrived!!!

• Ranald
13 years 6 months ago #28119 by Ranald
Hi c00kered.
I think that you refer to Local Housing Allowance (private lettings) and not Housing Benefit which is used for social housing tenants.

Ranald.
The topic has been locked.
  • Survivor
13 years 6 months ago #28120 by Survivor
Ranald wrote:

Hi c00kered.
I think that you refer to Local Housing Allowance (private lettings) and not Housing Benefit which is used for social housing tenants.

Ranald.

Not everyone in privately rented accommodation is on LHA. Those who were in receipt of HB before it was brought in continue as they were. The term housing benefit is generally used collectively to mean the different types of housing benefit including LHA.
  • millymoo
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #28226 by millymoo
Hi all

Just a brief update i have spoken to welfare debt department and they are ringing me back with an appointment so as yet i dont know how long it will be soon i hope!!

The other thing in preparation for this meeting i have done a spreadsheet for my finances and its very worrying indeed. Bearing in mind appart from my mortgage and money i am paying back to a friend i dont have any other debts. After paying direct debits for bills which i lnow are too low and insurances etc i am left with £8.76 to last me 4 weeks. It just goes to show what my DLA has been used for up to now. Without this i wouldnt eat!!! I dont smoke or drink and certainly dont go out and the food that i have been buying have been things on offer!!!

I suppose up until a month ago when i was been tube fed (last 9 years) so had no need to buy food and looking at the state of my outgoings i feel it would have been quite bleak!! I have now started to eat with medical suppliments and sadly i am using the maximum suppliments and eat 1 meal a day. I know i am not alone with this but surely DLA was never meant to suppliment benefits in order to eat.

I will update as soon as i can but i just thought it may be worth other members analising their finances before it gets to my situation!!!!

Mm :) a smile costs nothing
  • Helen
13 years 6 months ago #28236 by Helen
I know you can appeal. The wording implies that you cannot appeal but you can.
The mortgage interest rate can be raised if you have special circumstances - so give it a go. You may need the help of a legal eagle btu there is room for negotiation. I know people who have had a higher rate of interest paid for their mortgage.:-)
More
13 years 6 months ago #28269 by tommo
Hi Milly... I can't understand why your so skint... are you getting the top rate mobility and carers dla ? .. are you getting esa ? ...... I'm sure if you are there's no way a severely disabled person can be facing homelessness plus not having enough money to by buy food.. I'm sure the local press/tv would be interested to know your predicament...

Tony ... :)
  • millymoo
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #28318 by millymoo
Hi Tommo

I am on ESA and DLA HRC i dont get any mobility as when i got my decision (DLA) i was scared of losing what i already had. It is my DLA that is paying for food, some care and family and friends are helping with any other care i need. Because they all work over the set criteria they are unable to claim carers allowance. Maybe i havnt worded it very well its my ESA that i have only £8.76 left for a four week period and its my DLA that is being used for food and anything else. I am so lucky to have such good family and friends, to be honest i wish i hadnt started a mortgage as there are so many other expenses that go with it. I am scared in case anything goes wrong and i have repairs to pay for because then i would be up s**t street without a paddle.

Hi Helen

Thank you for that piece if information regarding appealing the interest rate. I am wondering if that is why the housing advice team want me to see the welfare debt team, i would be great if that was the case. It really makes me cross because it clearly states that you cant appeal the interest rate!! I will bring that up when i see them, but by the sounds of it they will already be aware of that. They are also going to check that i am geting the correct benefits.

Tommo and Helen many thanks for your help it is really appreciated.

Mm :) a sile costs nothing
Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.