× Members

Quick question

More
13 years 5 months ago #28945 by mistynow
Quick question was created by mistynow
When dealing with DWP re benefits so far DLA and SDA re our daughter please could anyone advise whether it is best to be a 'Legal Appointee' as per DWP suggestion or hold 'Power of Attorney' as per Solicitors advice ?

Daughter totally disabled and blind but able to make desicions as no apparent mental handicap as assessed by those who do these things in the Neuro. teams.

We are assuming that as the S.S. Benefits Officer is seeing us tomorrow to claim further benefits for her this will trigger an ATOS load of paperwork and we will have to fill in and sign as well and demand they do Home Medicals in her Nursing home ?

Sorry for the questions but we are trying to find out the best way to proceed with conflicting professional advice and with benefits its hard enough already !!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #28960 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:Quick question
Hi mistynow,

I suspect that this will be outside any area that we can offer information on. Power of attorney would clearly extend far beyond just benefits claims though.

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 5 months ago #28979 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Quick question
mistynow wrote:

When dealing with DWP re benefits so far DLA and SDA re our daughter please could anyone advise whether it is best to be a 'Legal Appointee' as per DWP suggestion or hold 'Power of Attorney' as per Solicitors advice ?

Daughter totally disabled and blind but able to make desicions as no apparent mental handicap as assessed by those who do these things in the Neuro. teams.

We are assuming that as the S.S. Benefits Officer is seeing us tomorrow to claim further benefits for her this will trigger an ATOS load of paperwork and we will have to fill in and sign as well and demand they do Home Medicals in her Nursing home ?

Sorry for the questions but we are trying to find out the best way to proceed with conflicting professional advice and with benefits its hard enough already !!!

As Steve has explained 'Power of Attorney' is beyond our remit as noderators.

However, from cases I've dealt with 'Power of Attorney' is the road to take, especially if your solicitor has suggested this.

See Power of Attorney

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 5 months ago #28992 by nonsmoker2008
Replied by nonsmoker2008 on topic Re:Quick question
i was made legal appointee for my son specifically to deal with the paperwork, phonework and banking details of the benefits and allowances for my son who has aspergers and dyspraxia and lives at home. if all your daughter needs is someone to deal with the admin/phone/banking for her benefits/allowances and is capable of making her own decisions and running all the other aspects of her life, then appointee is a very agreeable arangement. power of attorney is much more far ranging however i believe you can gain this for a year at a time (i think) whereas you only need to apply for appointee status the once... and don't lose the returned form like i did...

hope it works out well for you whatever you decide on

More
13 years 5 months ago #29003 by Timewarp
Replied by Timewarp on topic Re:Quick question
Says here what "appointee" entails :
www.broxtowe.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1196

More
13 years 5 months ago #29005 by mistynow
Replied by mistynow on topic Re:Quick question
Thanks to all who replied, your responses were most helpful to us :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.