× Members

DLA Appeal Date

• zjturner
  • Topic Author
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #29013 by zjturner
DLA Appeal Date was created by zjturner
Hi there, just a quickie. I've been waiting for my appeal date, and i noticed my letter said i wouldn't hear until July, but it's now October and i still haven't heard a bean, is this normal?

Also i went to see a consultant today, who has booked me in for a MRI scan after viewing all my x-rays, he agrees that i certainly do have limited mobility, and unfortunately he now says i shouldn't be driving, as the limited ankle movement means i would be stabbing at the clutch/gas and he thinks it would be dangerous, so more than ever now i could really do with a mobility car. Do i have to have DLA to get a mobility car or are they available without DLA funding? :(
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by Steve Donnison.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #29052 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:DLA Appeal Date
Hi,

There is an enormous backlog of appeals building up due to the huge number of ESA appeals being lodged. But there's nothing to prevent you phoning your regional Tribunal Service office and asking them when your hearing is likely to be listed.

You can check whether you would be eligible for Motability here:

www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk/main.cfm?Type=AIE&Source=CHSW

Good luck,

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 5 months ago #29076 by penthesili
Replied by penthesili on topic Re:DLA Appeal Date
Hi Zj
There are also hand controls that can be fitted fairly easily to a standard car so that you don't have to use your feet to drive. It's a lever mechanism and is fairly easy to operate with the right hand while you steer with the left.

• zjturner
  • Topic Author
13 years 5 months ago #29123 by zjturner
Replied by zjturner on topic Re:DLA Appeal Date
Thanks for that info Steve, i'll definately give them a call in the morning. I wondered if i was right to panic, it's only when i worked out the difference between July and now, i started worrying! Many thanks for the advice!

• zjturner
  • Topic Author
13 years 5 months ago #29125 by zjturner
Replied by zjturner on topic Re:DLA Appeal Date
Hi and thanks for the reply. Well i didn't know about that at all, in fact that sounds right up my street, because although one of my ankles is bad, the other isn't too great either (clubfeet) and tires quite easily when driving for even a short time, so hand controls would be just perfect. Do you just take you car to a garage and enquire? Zelda

More
13 years 5 months ago #29194 by penthesili
Replied by penthesili on topic Re:DLA Appeal Date
Hi Zelda
First of all check out if there is a disabled driving centre near you. This info could well be available from your local Council, and tell them that you need to have hand controls fitted for an adapted car. They'll put you in touch with either a local dealer or local mechanic. I had mine fitted from new and the dealer, Daewoo, did it for me. It might also be an idea to ask a driving school that provides adapted cars, like BSM, who adapts their vehicles for them. If you're talking about a simple adaption (which would be a steering ball put on the steering wheel on the left hand side and a set of levers put on the right hand side for breaking and acceleration, with a flip switch on top for the indicators, that you could work with your thumb)that shouldn't work out at more than a couple of hundred. Obviously shop around for a quote and see who will give you the best deal, as with all things car-related there some sharks out there and some good guys.
Best of luck!
Cheers, Pen.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.