× Members

ESA and incontinence

More
13 years 5 months ago #34940 by Tim
ESA and incontinence was created by Tim
Dear all.. I am a bit naive when it comes to ESA.. But I have MS.. and have incontinence problems.. I wee myself once.. twice even three times a week.. I saw a continence lady today and she is sorting me out some pants to wear.. Will the ESA look on my assesment favorably or say.. because you can wear the pants.. you have no more problems with incontinence.. My mum says it is good news as I may now get what I want.. A support group award.. I am already in the limited capablity for work section.. But I am filling in some new ESA forms.. to be completed by a few days before Xmas.. Is it good or bad news that I will be wearing special pants soon.. Sorry for being naive.. aren't we all when dealing with ESA issues..

Thank you.. Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• originaldave
13 years 5 months ago #34945 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:ESA and incontinence
Tim wrote:

Dear all.. I am a bit naive when it comes to ESA.. But I have MS.. and have incontinence problems.. I wee myself once.. twice even three times a week.. I saw a continence lady today and she is sorting me out some pants to wear.. Will the ESA look on my assesment favorably or say.. because you can wear the pants.. you have no more problems with incontinence.. My mum says it is good news as I may now get what I want.. A support group award.. I am already in the limited capablity for work section.. But I am filling in some new ESA forms.. to be completed by a few days before Xmas.. Is it good or bad news that I will be wearing special pants soon.. Sorry for being naive.. aren't we all when dealing with ESA issues..

Thank you.. Tim

IMO and its only mine you should get in the support group with what you say, that said others on here have posted something like your post and are having to argue the point :(

• Survivor
13 years 5 months ago #34947 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: ESA and incontinence
I don't have an answer, but there seem to be others using this site who would. In the meantime, you might find this thread useful. www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?func=view&catid=10&id=25543

More
13 years 5 months ago #34973 by Tim
Replied by Tim on topic Re: ESA and incontinence
Thank you Dave and Survivor.. I know it will be a battle to get into the support group... but I have 3 medical profesionals on my side.. I see a neurologist on the 4th of Decemeber.. I have never seen him before so fingers crossed I may by then have at least 4 medical types in my corner.. Thank you again..

More
13 years 5 months ago #35020 by Jeff1
Replied by Jeff1 on topic Re: ESA and incontinence
Hi Tim, Wearing incontinence pads/pants, does not stop the actual incontinence happening. I have read this somewhere in the DMs guides on the DWP website.Best Wishes

More
13 years 5 months ago #35024 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:ESA and incontinence
Tim / Jeff

I can't find a reference to incontinence in the Decision Makers Handbook for ESA, but there is a reference in the Disability Handbook

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/ch31.pdf

I also found the following IB case law, which should be relevant to ESA

incontinence pads

CSIB/74/1996 states that these are irrelevant when considering lack of voluntary control as they do only help the claimant to cope with his or her condition. They do not aid voluntary control. See also CSIB/880/2003.

Hope this helps

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.