× Members

"It varies" option on ESA50

• Clara
  • Topic Author
13 years 2 months ago #41825 by Clara
"It varies" option on ESA50 was created by Clara
What happens if you tick the "it varies" option on an ESA50? If you tick "no" you know how many points you will score (provided they believe you, of course), but how would they work out points for "it varies"?

Also: who should choose this option? If you can't do something reasonably reliably, you are entitled to say you can't do it. So would "it varies" be a more suitable choice for someone with long periods of remission followed by relapses, rather than for someone whose symptoms fluctuate throughout the day?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 2 months ago #41826 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: "It varies" option on ESA50
I'm always suspicious of the varies box. Personally, I'm one of life's annotaters, so if I get a box like that, I say how it varies.

More
13 years 2 months ago #41827 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:"It varies" option on ESA50
Hi Clara

Please read the ESA guides in the members' area. Generally speaking, the 'it varies' box is very unclear and is unlikely to score points on its own. You need to provide more detailed information and describe how your condition affects a particular activity.

If you can't manage an activity for the majority of the time, or if you cannot repeat the activity within a reasonable amount of time, you are entitled to claim that you cannot do it. It's best to try and give an accurate description including how frequently you are able to do it.

Good luck

Derek

• originaldave
13 years 2 months ago #41855 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:"It varies" option on ESA50
It varies means at times its different than others, they of course will put the spin on its better at sometimes than others :)

Which might not be as true as the answer I gave

More
13 years 2 months ago #41886 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:"It varies" option on ESA50
Clara

Where a condition varies, you should look to answer based on how the condition affects you the majority of time.

So for example, question 1, asks about your ability to walk more than 200 metres. If, for the majority of the time you are unable to walk the 200 metres, then you should answer "no", in preference to "it varies".

There may still be occasion when you still have to use "it varies", but you must then explain the circumstances when you can, or cannot, perform the task. You are then reliant on the ATOS HCP and the DM understanding the limitation and agreeing that it is relevant.

Hope this helps.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Clara
  • Topic Author
13 years 2 months ago #41980 by Clara
Replied by Clara on topic Re:"It varies" option on ESA50
Derek, I have read your ESA guides! Excellent though they are in general, I am not sure about the advice on this point. I am concerned that "it varies" may be a trap to deter people from ticking "no" who are legally entitled to do so.

1. Should the way the condition affects you the majority of the time always be crucial? If I can walk 200 metres 80% of the time, but fall flat on my face the other 20% (and never know when this will be), wouldn't I be entitled to tick "no", rather an "it varies" on the grounds that it would not be safe for me to attempt the activity?

2. The guide gives the example of someone who can walk 300 metres two days a week, but only 150 metres on all other days. You say they have the option of ticking either "no", or "it varies", with a careful explanation in either case. You then say that your preference would be for them to tick the "no" box, but that they could equally well tick the "it varies" box.
You don't give a reason for your preference, and this is not a strong statement. It is very different from: "Don't tick 'it varies' if you want to score any points", which is the message I am getting from some people.

Thanks to all who replied.
Clara

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.