× Members

worried bi polar

• c r henderson
  • Topic Author
13 years 1 month ago #49379 by c r henderson
worried bi polar was created by c r henderson
hello,

this is my first posting.
i have bi polar disorder and I am worried about my assessment due in June this year when I will probably be migrated from i.b to the new e.s.a
I am seriously worried about this, are there any other bi polars or people with mental health problems who have been through the process who can advise/reassure?!.
I do not think any employer will want to employ a mad woman in her fifties-me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #49387 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:worried bi polar
c r henderson

There is a guide that explains how you can claim ESA on Mental Health grounds in the ESA section of the Members area. It might ease your concerns to familiarise yourself with the tests and start thinking about how you might reply.

I will say, before everybody reminds me :) that there is a new ESA test, likely to be put in place in the next couple of months, a new Guide will be made available as soon as the tests are confirmed, but you wil lose little by reviewing the current tests.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 1 month ago #49415 by FoxyLady2
Replied by FoxyLady2 on topic Re:worried bi polar
just a Hi from a fellow mad woman in her fifties with Bipolar - sorry can't help - I'm currently pca excempt so don't even know when I might be called for a medical

Mr Grayling when he says "Oh we'll refine the process as we go" has forgotten that real people are affected now !!

• Survivor
13 years 1 month ago #49416 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:worried bi polar
I have bipolar disorder and I don't think that the new descriptors cater very well for it. I think that the best thing to do is to read them and consider how they apply to you and come up with some examples of how they apply.

I think quite a few people would find the serious risk exception relevant. Worth a chat with your psychiatrist/GP next time you see him about whether he'd provide a medical report/letter about this if it applies to you when the time comes.

• bittersweet
13 years 1 month ago #49420 by bittersweet
Replied by bittersweet on topic Re:worried bi polar
FoxyLady2...how do you find out if you're pca exempt?
I'm bipolar, receive IB, IS, SD and DLA. I've only had one medical about 8 years ago and was told I could not work. I'm totally confused about everything now, just can't seem to process all the info about the changes.

• Survivor
13 years 1 month ago #49421 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:worried bi polar
You're probably exempt or you'd have been having medicals. You might be exempt on the basis of severe mental illness, or if you're on higher rate care DLA, that would exempt you as well.

The criteria are different for ESA and due to change again shortly, so don't worry about the PCA, just focus on the future and the WCA.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.