× Members

curious[if i had no savings]

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #54615 by pamela
curious[if i had no savings] was created by pamela
Could some-one please advise[i'm thinking longterm as many of us are.]

When i have lived off my savings because i am not entitled to the support component of ESA.If it was now which benefit might i be=able to claim,do we know if PIP is helping those who have exhausted any savings[if they had any in the first place]
and not paid full NI stamp for years.

I live alone and am wondering how i'm going to survive once all my monies gone.

It's unlikely with my age and mulititude of disabilities[12 in all] that some kind person will try and employ me.
Iwon't be getting my state pension until i'm 66.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #54622 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:curious[if i had no savings]
pamela

You really need to see an advisor, CAB or Welfare Rights, who can look at all of your circumstances and give you relevent advice.

From what you have said, once you (and your partner), have less than £16,000 in assets and an income of less than £100/week (this is an approximation), you should be eligiible for Income Related ESA.

If you are eligible for ESA(IR), then you may additionally qualify for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, among other things. This is why you need to see an advisor.

DLA is not means tested and will not be treated as income with regard to ESA, so you can apply for this immediately, assuming you can demonstrate you have the necessary care/mobility needs.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #54647 by pamela
Replied by pamela on topic Re:curious[if i had no savings]
Thanks Gordon,I'm getting DLA indefinitely[until the medical anyway] and on IB.
However when i'm awarded ESA[CB]-even if i have to go through appeal and don't get the support component.Once the 12 month timescale is up.I will have to live off my lump sum and am concerned that because i will have not paid full stamp for about 10 years then i won't get any help.i've always worked until my health failed me.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #54654 by sfros46
Replied by sfros46 on topic Re:curious[if i had no savings]
Pamela you appear to be thinking along similar lines to me. I too am on DLA and IB and know that unless I get onto the support group of ESA (which is unlikely) I will not qualify for any ESA after the initial 12month period (that's assuming this time limit proposal comes into force), so I will then have to live off my savings and then probably have to sell my property. It's a horrible situation to contemplate but one that could happen.

The only positive thing I can take from this is that it is a little bit of "insurance" that I will be able to use to make sure I don't pushed into anything that I don't think is appropriate. Having said all that we can at least appeal against any judgements that are made.

Clive Anderson was on Question Time last week and he made an interesting comment that when people look back at this period in history, they may well ask what were people doing (or not doing) to let this kind of situation arise. Where banks have become so powerful as to not be allowed to fail at any cost, and everyone else is made to pay for it.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #54656 by pamela
Replied by pamela on topic Re:curious[if i had no savings]
sfros46,

Not an easy one is it?I'm a forward thinker and know for a fact i will be at least 8 years without money before i get any sort of pension and i promised myself i would never give up work until i was at least 55[Iworked on the other side of the counter,so saw how awful it was for unemployed,sick,disabled to struggle on benefits].
Alas my health let me down and i'm now one of the people struggling.
Such is life.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #54659 by DRAGON2009
Replied by DRAGON2009 on topic Re:curious[if i had no savings]
One point which has NEVER been met in this forum or on TV or radio so far is this. Its the bit almost no one has noticed, and not one journalist, or even the CAB appear to have picked up on

It is bad enough that the 12 month time limit on contrib ESA will end with many still disabled claimants losing entitlement on the basis of working partner or saving BUT many people get the age related additioin on IB which on migration to ESA is transitionally protected. However, once that claim is broken, i.e because their 12 months ends , they lose entitlerment because of working partnber/savings, well if their partner ceases to work, or their savings run down to a 'can make a claim' level for ESA, they will only get the ESA rate, not their previous IB rate with the transitioal protection that included age rel;ated addition

It means that they lose twice, first their entitlement, and then on regaining entitlement, a lower rate by a lot , and almost certainly less than they were receiving YEARS earlier when on IB

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.