× Members

IB/ESA Migration queries

More
12 years 10 months ago #57828 by sheleo
IB/ESA Migration queries was created by sheleo
I've received the phone call and am waiting for the ESA50 to arrive. Thanks to the brilliant guides on this site I've filled in a draft version and got copies of medical eveidence and support. Just two queries remain:
1. At what stage in the process are you asked for financial details i.e. income/savings? I have nothing to hide and will truthfully declare everything but I'm not altogether happy about sending in bank staements, passbooks etc., because the DWP frequently 'lose' things.So what do you have to send in and when?
2. There have been many discussions re occupational pensions but I can't find the thread I'm looking for. Assuming transfer to ESA/C/B/WRAG is occupational pension income,awarded in 1998 and currently disregarded under I/B,(altho' later awards aren't) still disregarded for the C/B year? I realise that all will be taken into account when the year is up and you move to means tested I/R ESA.
Thanks for all your help getting me thro' this process so far!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #57829 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:IB/ESA Migration queries
sheleo wrote:

I've received the phone call and am waiting for the ESA50 to arrive. Thanks to the brilliant guides on this site I've filled in a draft version and got copies of medical eveidence and support. Just two queries remain:
1. At what stage in the process are you asked for financial details i.e. income/savings? I have nothing to hide and will truthfully declare everything but I'm not altogether happy about sending in bank staements, passbooks etc., because the DWP frequently 'lose' things.So what do you have to send in and when?
2. There have been many discussions re occupational pensions but I can't find the thread I'm looking for. Assuming transfer to ESA/C/B/WRAG is occupational pension income,awarded in 1998 and currently disregarded under I/B,(altho' later awards aren't) still disregarded for the C/B year? I realise that all will be taken into account when the year is up and you move to means tested I/R ESA.
Thanks for all your help getting me thro' this process so far!

Hi,

I will try to ansswer some of your queries.

Firstly as opposed to sending in real bank passbooks etc, go into the local Jobcentre Plus and ask them nicely to make certified copies and then forward your claim form there. Usually they will give you a written form of receipt.

I am not exactly sure when the financial information is required as we don't normally deal with means tested benefits here but one of the other members/mods will probably know. However I believe it goes in with the ESA50.

Any Occupational Pensions (depending if over £85 per week) can be taken into account on Contributory Based ESA and the pension is taken into account with regards to Income Related ESA (similarly to the previous IB and IS procedures in force prior to ESA starting.).

Pete
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by pete17971. Reason: addd info

More
12 years 10 months ago #57833 by sheleo
Replied by sheleo on topic Re:IB/ESA Migration queries
Thanks Pete. A couple of minutes after I'd posted I picked up the post.....one ESA50 to fill in but no financial details asked for yet. I'll certainly follow your advice re certified copies.

More
12 years 10 months ago #57835 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:IB/ESA Migration queries
Hi sheleo

I don't know if there are any special procedures regarding being transferred from IS to ESA, but for initial ESA claims they usually ask for the financial information prior to sending the ESA50 to confirm that you qualify in the first place. And they don't always ask for bank statements as proof. I think they do automatically if you have savings above £5500.

It may be the case that if you were claiming IS you are already deemed to satisfy the means test, but I'm not certain about that.

Good luck with your ESA50

Derek

More
12 years 10 months ago #57839 by s.jmoore@blueyonder.co.uk
Replied by s.jmoore@blueyonder.co.uk on topic Re:IB/ESA Migration queries
IF I remember correctly from similar discussions on here in the past you don't have to fill out all your finical details in the form If you don't want to.

It's just that If you don't It means that you have to reapply further down the line when (for example) the new regulations come in and contributions based ESA is time limited to one year.

More
12 years 10 months ago #57842 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:IB/ESA Migration queries
Hi,

I suspect Derek is right. Normally financial issues would be dealt with before 'medical' ones. But as this is a transfer rather than a fresh claim the DWP probably assumes that they already have all the necessary financial information.

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.