× Members

£5,500 savings limit

• Barkthedog
  • Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago #59950 by Barkthedog
£5,500 savings limit was created by Barkthedog
During a recent telephone review the assessor from job centre plus informed me that £5,500 is now considered to be the limit that one can have in capital ... that ultimately reduces levels of benefit.

I've looked and looked and researched, but can find nothing that indicates this as being so. Everything I read including the government site states over 6k as the amount before benefit is reduced by £1 for every amount of £250 ( I know the rule on the next reduction of a £1 if £250 block is exceeded by a few pounds.)

We tried using last number to call back and it was JC. No-one would confirm though ... either way on the £5,500 limit for reduction in benefits at this level. And, no, we don't but I felt that this was completely wrong for the lady to say to us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #59953 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:£5,500 savings limit
Barkthedog

The limits for assets have not changed and remain £6000 with no deductions up to £16,000 with a £1/£250 deduction.

That said, the DWP are making assumptions that anyone with £5500 in a single account will probably have other assets (cash, other accounts), totalling more than £500, and that there are therefore potentially issues of the total being over £6000.

Hope this explains it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Ranald
12 years 9 months ago #59957 by Ranald
Replied by Ranald on topic Re:£5,500 savings limit
I would be lucky to have 600 quid!

More
12 years 9 months ago #59966 by Doris
Replied by Doris on topic Re:£5,500 savings limit
There is another thread touching on this topic and I did post a reply up in the benefit news ( but it doesnt seem to have appeared ? ).

The £5.5k notification limit has been around for some time and is stated in both the A1 IS form and the A2 IS review form.

However, you're the first person I've heard make mention of it outside these forms.

More
12 years 9 months ago #59967 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:£5,500 savings limit
Barkthedog wrote:

During a recent telephone review the assessor from job centre plus informed me that £5,500 is now considered to be the limit that one can have in capital ...

Hi BTD

Hope you are well, it's been a while since I heard from you.

I think we should never accept at face value what the DWP say over the phone. All too often claimants appear to have been given incorrect information verbally but if you ask them to respond in writing, the letter is promised but never arrives.

It's possible that there was a miscommunication or the assessor is confused with the question on the form and the actual legal limit, but it's always preferable to communicate with the DWP in writing if possible.

Regards

Derek

• Barkthedog
  • Topic Author
12 years 8 months ago #60470 by Barkthedog
Replied by Barkthedog on topic Re:£5,500 savings limit
Many thanks.

Hi Derek

Left shoulder re-build has limited typing for quite some time and honestly with one hand it takes forever ... and then the remaining hand is not my best ... sigh. Have also been laid up, flat out for sometime; cheeky people at Job Centre wanted me to come in for another talky-bit. When will these people listen to the facts?

Soon as they feel I can manage, it will be time for the right shoulder to be done ... double sigh:)

We asked for written confirmation regarding the 5.5k, but as yet nothing has arrived, nor do I suspect that it will. :silly:

BTD

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.