× Members

Feeling scared...

• ktandpete
  • Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago #60193 by ktandpete
Feeling scared... was created by ktandpete
....I have had my ESA form for about 3 weeks and it has been sitting on my table since then as I am scared to even start filling it in for fear of getting it wrong.

My main problem is that I have both mental (bi-polar disorder) and physical (fibromyalgia) conditions that make it impossible for me to work.

I have worked full time all of my adult life (I am 38)until 12 months ago when my mind and body final gave up as my symptoms got too difficult to manage along with my stressful job. I feel that I have been in recovery in this last year as, in hindsight, I clearly pushed myself too far. I believe I won't work again for at least 2 years whilst I recover and rebuild my life, but now accept that it may be much longer than this or not at all.

Back to the form...what scares me is that I know how important it is to get it right th first time and having both mental and physical disabilities, I need to make sure that I get everything across.

Any specific tips around this would be extremely welcome. Thanks Katie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #60198 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Feeling scared...
Hi Katie

I know what you mean. I've often left mine until the last few days.

When it comes to filling in an ESA50 there isn't really any such thing as 'getting it right', as there is no correct answer to any question.

I would suggest that you read through the guides and make brief notes of the key facts that prevent you from carrying out each activity that you should score points for. Perhaps go over it again for a few days to see if there is anything you can add to each descriptor.

It's important to make sure that the evidence you have is sufficient to score the points, taking into consideration the severity and frequency. Then you can construct answers like the examples in the guides using the notes you have.

If you have any friends who know you and your disability well it would help if they look at your notes and can add anything. But don't forget it is crucial that the form is sent on time!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Derek

• stephenjade
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #60200 by stephenjade
Replied by stephenjade on topic Re:Feeling scared...
Don't fill the form in first. Answer all questions roughly and keep going back amending as you remember things and only put it on actual form when you are completely satisfied with your answer. Let it take as long as you can allow making notes as to what you want to include .
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Derek4. Reason: removed block capitals

• asdman
12 years 9 months ago #60202 by asdman
Replied by asdman on topic Re:Feeling scared...
I've got similar worries and have found using the computerised form much easier as you can fill it in a bit at a time and keep making alterations. Plus I can fit a lot more on than filling in by hand

www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits...lorinjured/DG_172012

• justjuls
12 years 9 months ago #60205 by justjuls
Replied by justjuls on topic Re:Feeling scared...
Hi Katie
One way I found of making my anxiety less re filling in the form was to use a voice recorder, and every time I had a thought of what to put on the form, I said it into the recorder. When well, I typed it up so I could read it and pick out what made best sense.
As someone said, just get it in on time!
;) Juls

• asdman
12 years 9 months ago #60206 by asdman
Replied by asdman on topic Re:Feeling scared...
sorry, wrong link - this should be the right one to directly download the form

www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/...lasset/dg_195544.pdf

BTW, would it be helpful to have a link to the computerised form in a prominent place on the B&W website? It really is so much easier for me as I dread filling in forms by hand in case I make a mistake or want to make alterations and so I guess it might be the same for others.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.