× Members

new mobilising descriptor

More
12 years 8 months ago #63167 by Marionaqu
new mobilising descriptor was created by Marionaqu
hi, I a helping a friend with his reassessment for ESA last time he passed and got into the support group on the basis of not being able to walk 50 metres but this was the old medical. He also has a heart condition and other problems which would preclude him being able to do this in a wheelchair even though he has never used one. So on the form should I mention that even with a wheel chair he could still not do this due to other problems or just focus on the difficulties with walking?

Any advice appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
12 years 8 months ago #63184 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:new mobilising descriptor
Marionaqu wrote:

hi, I a helping a friend with his reassessment for ESA last time he passed and got into the support group on the basis of not being able to walk 50 metres but this was the old medical. He also has a heart condition and other problems which would preclude him being able to do this in a wheelchair even though he has never used one. So on the form should I mention that even with a wheel chair he could still not do this due to other problems or just focus on the difficulties with walking?

Any advice appreciated.

Hi M,

As you rightly say it is now "Mobilising" not walking.

Yes I would definately go into some detail about limitations in using a manual wheelchair, don't forget limitations under the other descriptor moving from one seated position to another next to each other unaided,are relevant here also.

So if exertion, and exsacebation is endured due to cardio conditions this would also apply to self propulsion of a wheelchair, which in some ways is more difficult than walking.

Don't forget must be able to carry out these actions, Repeatedly, Reliably and Safely, also.

You will note that in the ESA50 it only says re wheelchair use, "If you usually use one". However in the ATOS WCA handbook they advise their Assessors to consider if the claimant "could use a manual wheelchair unaided, even if they have never used one", this is where "virtual wheelchair " comes in.

If you look in the pysical activity ESA guides in the members area Steve Donnison goes into some detail re this subject.

Good luck

bro58

• bro58
12 years 8 months ago #63188 by bro58
bro58 wrote:

Marionaqu wrote:

Any advice appreciated.

Hi M,

As you rightly say it is now "Mobilising" not walking.

Yes I would definately go into some detail about limitations in using a manual wheelchair, don't forget limitations under the other descriptor moving from one seated position to another next to each other unaided,are relevant here also.

So if exertion, and exsacebation is endured due to cardio conditions this would also apply to self propulsion of a wheelchair, which in some ways is more difficult than walking.

Don't forget must be able to carry out these actions, Repeatedly, Reliably and Safely, also.

You will note that in the ESA50 it only says re wheelchair use, "If you usually use one". However in the ATOS WCA handbook they advise their Assessors to consider if the claimant "could use a manual wheelchair unaided, even if they have never used one", this is where "virtual wheelchair " comes in.

If you look in the pysical activity ESA guides in the members area Steve Donnison goes into some detail re this subject.

Good luck

bro58

HI again M,

Another little tip, that I learnt in my trainer days, that may help.

As well as obviously going into detail with walking limitations, to help you relate problems also with the use of a manual wheelchair, which can be more difficult, as a wheelchair has never been used.

Breakdown each individual action in the whole process of using the wheelchair, e.g. getting into the wheelchair unaided, and safely, having to sit in the wheelchair, limitation if say you had lumberspine problems,(pain, discomfort) upper body strength, muscle tone needed, cervical spine problems, neck and shoulders problems, which would all come into play in the propelling of the wheels manually, grip problems also here.

Getting out of the wheelchair, unaided and safely, any risk involved to yourself or others.

Of course, the actual exertion involved with all the actions, breathlessness, chest pain, fatigue, whatever is pertinent to you, etc, etc, etc.

So, breakdown each indivual action of use, and tie it in to your limitations.

You can use the same process with other descriptors.

Don't assume that by simply saying, Mr X would suffer severe exertion on using a manual wheelchair, that this will result in points awarded.

Go into detail, as ATOS will not do you any favours, assume they have no understanding re : the use of a manual wheelchair, and know nothing. (Not far wrong there actually. LOL !)

Hope this helps further

bro58

More
12 years 8 months ago #63202 by sheleo
Replied by sheleo on topic Re:new mobilising descriptor
Like an idiot, I failed to talk about wheelchair use when I completed my ESA50. My neck, vertigo and almost fused wrists prevent me from using a manual wheelchair so I'm going to have to bring it up at the medical in a couple of weeks. If I have to appeal, presumably this can also be mentionned in Appeal submission?

• bro58
12 years 8 months ago #63206 by bro58
sheleo wrote:

Like an idiot, I failed to talk about wheelchair use when I completed my ESA50. My neck, vertigo and almost fused wrists prevent me from using a manual wheelchair so I'm going to have to bring it up at the medical in a couple of weeks. If I have to appeal, presumably this can also be mentionned in Appeal submission?

Hi S,

If you have not had your medical yet, it may not be too late.

Type up some details on blank A4, regarding the limitations that you mention, and how they tie in.(mention the "mobilising" descriptor)

Put your name, national insurance number, and date of birth, at the top of any pages, list them 1 of 2, 2 of 2, etc.

Then post them off as soon as possible to ATOS at the address that your ESA50 went too, and also to the DWP decision maker, dealing with your ESA, at your local benefit office, this address will be on any letters you have from DWP, re your benefit.

Include a covering letter stating that you would like this further evidence to be taken into account, in your ESA WCA assessment.

Keep copy of anything you send to ATOS or DWP.

On the premise that a decision cannot be made until the DM sees your ESA50, and report from your medical, plus any other evidence you put in front of them, it should be taken into account.

good luck

cheers

bro58

• bro58
12 years 8 months ago #63210 by bro58
bro58 wrote:

sheleo wrote:

Hi S,

If you have not had your medical yet, it may not be too late.

Type up some details on blank A4, regarding the limitations that you mention, and how they tie in.(mention the "mobilising" descriptor)

Put your name, national insurance number, and date of birth, at the top of any pages, list them 1 of 2, 2 of 2, etc.

Then post them off as soon as possible to ATOS at the address that your ESA50 went too, and also to the DWP decision maker, dealing with your ESA, at your local benefit office, this address will be on any letters you have from DWP, re your benefit.

Include a covering letter stating that you would like this further evidence to be taken into account, in your ESA WCA assessment.

Keep copy of anything you send to ATOS or DWP.

On the premise that a decision cannot be made until the DM sees your ESA50, and report from your medical, plus any other evidence you put in front of them, it should be taken into account.

good luck

cheers

bro58

Sorry,

Should have also said, take a copy to your ATOS assessment aswell, and hand it to the Assessor before the assessment starts, just to cover yourself.

Don't rely on just informing the assessor verbally.

cheers

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.