× Members

ESA withdrawn.

More
12 years 6 months ago #68220 by martyn williams
ESA withdrawn. was created by martyn williams
Hi, I wonder if any one can explain this to me, my daughter recently went for a ESA medical assesment and was placed in the support group.
When she disclosed that she was recieving a sickness pension from her employer (NHS)
the ESA payment was stopped . is this right?
I thought that they could not do this until next april at the earliest and only then when it had been passed through parliament.
Any views please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #68223 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:ESA withdrawn.
Martyn

Is your daughter receiving Income Related ESA or Contribution Based?

For ESA(IR) any income will be deducted, one for one, from the payments.

For ESA(CB) any gross pension income of more than £85 a week, the amount of benefit payable will be reduced by half of the excess.

If in doubt, you should contact your local DWP office and ask for a written explanation of how they have reached this decision.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
12 years 6 months ago #68230 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:ESA withdrawn.
Hi M,

Gordon has given you the correct information regarding deduction pertaining to occupational pensions.

I think you are confused with regard to your reference to April 2012.

If the new legislation is passed which seems most likely.

As from April 2012, anyone who is awarded ESA WRAG contribution based, will only be entitled to 365 days entitlement.

After this period the recipient will face a means test to see whether they qualify for Income Related ESA.

This rule will be applied retrospectively, ie, any award of the Con/ESA before April 2012 will be deducted from the 365 day entitlement.

Anyone in the support group of ESA will not face this 365 day limit on entitlement, and will therefore not face the means test.

The scenario with your daughter is a seperate issue, with regard to receipt of an occupational pension, if in excess of £85 / week.

cheers

bro58

• Bruce Robinson
12 years 6 months ago #68233 by Bruce Robinson
Replied by Bruce Robinson on topic Re:ESA withdrawn.
I am confused. Does this mean that anyone with an occupational pension is means tested from day 1 of a successful ESA application under this £85 rule?

• bro58
12 years 6 months ago #68236 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:ESA withdrawn.
Bruce Robinson wrote:

I am confused. Does this mean that anyone with an occupational pension is means tested from day 1 of a successful ESA application under this £85 rule?

Hi,

The means test is only applied to recipients of Income Related ESA.

The disregard of £85 / week for Occupational Pensions is for Contributory ESA, as was also the case for many recipients of Contributory Incapacity Beneft.

cheers

bro58

• Bruce Robinson
12 years 6 months ago #68238 by Bruce Robinson
Replied by Bruce Robinson on topic Re:ESA withdrawn.
The reason I asked is because I have been receiving IB and an occupational pension as I took early retirement on health grounds. Now I am being reassessed for ESA. If the rule is that "For ESA(CB) any gross pension income of more than £85 a week, the amount of benefit payable will be reduced by half of the excess", then unless, as I understand it, I get into the Support Group, I will not receive any contributory ESA because of the level of my pension. So I am wondering whether I will go through a long process and come out with nothing even if I pass the medical assessment.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.