× Members

DLA medical was terrible

• KittyBoo
  • Topic Author
12 years 4 months ago #73547 by KittyBoo
DLA medical was terrible was created by KittyBoo
I had my DLA home medical yesterday and really upset at how it went.
My claim was sent in ages ago and ATOS contacted me to say I would get a visit from a Dr.
He only contacted me last week and we arranged the visit for yesterday.
My DLA runs out on the 23rd so I am obviously worried about that.
When he first arrived he was asking me quick questions and passed me a piece of paper and asked me to sign it "just to confirm that I had agreed to the medical"
I had trouble understanding the Dr's accent and he didn't give me any chance to explain my conditions.
He fired questions and made general statements.
I live alone but he said "you get out of bed yourself and you clean and dress yourself don't you"?.
Of course I do, I live alone.
Although I had read the information on here and successfully used it previously to get higher rate care and mobility, I feel as though I have not had the opportunity to say how my conditions are, particularly my depression and chronic muscle spasms.
Do I just wait now and see what the decision is?
Can I contact ATOS and ask for a copy of his report?
Thanks for this great site by the way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
12 years 4 months ago #73548 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: DLA medical was terrible
If you want a copy of the report, it would be usual to ask the decision maker.

Have you submitted all the evidence that you can about the relevant issues? Maybe there is someone who knows you who knows about the difficulties you have with the bodily functions that you didn't feel you had a chance to explain to the doctor?

• KittyBoo
  • Topic Author
12 years 4 months ago #73550 by KittyBoo
Replied by KittyBoo on topic Re: DLA medical was terrible
I did a similiar claim to my original DLA except I explained in more detail my symptoms had worsened and my medication increased.
They were waiting for my Drs report which I asked for a copy of but it had not been scanned by the surgery.
DWP eventually got it and I am waiting for DWP to forward a copy to me.
I didn't submit a letter from anyone as I have not discussed my problems with anyone other than my Dr.
My friends and family still think I am working from home.

• Survivor
12 years 4 months ago #73557 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: DLA medical was terrible
It looks from what you say that you've done what you can. Don't forget that even if the decision doesn't go in your favour, you have a second bite of the cherry with the appeals process.

• KittyBoo
  • Topic Author
12 years 4 months ago #73606 by KittyBoo
Replied by KittyBoo on topic Re: DLA medical was terrible
Could it be possible that I could end up losing the whole of my DLA?
I know I am in a bit of state but just trying to think how I would manage if I lost higher rate for mobility and care.
Would I end up being classed as unemployed or go back on just Incapacity Benefit?
Sorry to sound so negative but just trying to prepare myself, as my present DLA runs out in 2 weeks,

• michaelg
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #73607 by michaelg
Replied by michaelg on topic Re: DLA medical was terrible
KittyBoo wrote:

Could it be possible that I could end up losing the whole of my DLA?
I know I am in a bit of state but just trying to think how I would manage if I lost higher rate for mobility and care.
Would I end up being classed as unemployed or go back on just Incapacity Benefit?
Sorry to sound so negative but just trying to prepare myself, as my present DLA runs out in 2 weeks,

Hi Kitty

DLA is a non-means tested benefit that is paid, if you meet the qualification criteria, whether you are in work or not.

If you lose your DLA you would not be automatically transferred to IB or its replacement benefit ESA. These are claimed separately and may be paid if you're getting DLA or not, provided you are entitled.

Regards

Michael
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by michaelg. Reason: clarified

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.