× Members

Missed DLA renewal dealine, what am I facing

More
12 years 2 months ago #78759 by theequalizer
Missed DLA renewal dealine, what am I facing was created by theequalizer
Hi

I was not able to submit my DLA renewal this December, as a result I have been asked to fill in a new claim form and I am worried that I will be judged without regard to my previous awards from 2006 and 2009.

It has not been easy because I am suicidal, have both physical and mental health impairments, and have not been able to face the huge task of filling the form in electronically, and getting new letters of support from my doctors.

How will the DWP treat my claim and what advice can you give which will help? I feel I should tell them that I am a previous claimant and not to treat me as if this is a new claim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #78762 by bro58
theequalizer wrote:

Hi

I was not able to submit my DLA renewal this December, as a result I have been asked to fill in a new claim form and I am worried that I will be judged without regard to my previous awards from 2006 and 2009.

It has not been easy because I am suicidal, have both physical and mental health impairments, and have not been able to face the huge task of filling the form in electronically, and getting new letters of support from my doctors.

How will the DWP treat my claim and what advice can you give which will help? I feel I should tell them that I am a previous claimant and not to treat me as if this is a new claim.

Hi TE,

Firstly, if your username is your real name you may wish to read this, and change it :

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

As it would seem that you are new to the forum, you may wish to read :

Welcome to Benefits and Work

There is also much useful information in our FAQ's here :

FAQ’s

With regards to your new claim for DLA, I'm afraid it is not sufficient to refer back to your medical conditions and resulting limitations/disabilities/needs, that may have entitled you to an award of DLA in the past.

The DWP will not accept this, even with a renewal it should be treated by the claimant as a fresh claim, and therefore you should go into detail regarding your current limitations and needs.

See DLA claim forms here :

DLA Claim forms

You can access all our DLA Claim Guides from here :

DLA Guides

It may be advisable to gain face to face advice on this, see here for sources of advice :

Where to get advice?

And :
www.mind.org.uk/

www.rethink.org/

Hope the above helps.

bro58
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by bro58. Reason: Edited username at member's request

More
12 years 2 months ago #78859 by theequalizer
Replied by theequalizer on topic Re:Missed DLA renewal dealine, what am I facing
thank you

I have made a request for my name to be removed, I did not expect it to be posted automatically.

Regarding medical evidence, how much new evidence and how much of my previous medical reports should I rely on?

• bro58
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #78863 by bro58
theequalizer wrote:

thank you

I have made a request for my name to be removed, I did not expect it to be posted automatically.

Regarding medical evidence, how much new evidence and how much of my previous medical reports should I rely on?

Hi TE,

The DWP sometimes say that they will only accept medical evidence that is up to 6 months old.

However, if you have long standing conditions, and these conditions have not improved, you should also include any evidence that may help prove these conditions no matter what age.

Your G.P. may have a very important part to play in accessing you correctly for DLA, so ensure that he is aware of all your limitations and care needs.

He will probably be sent a report to fill in see here :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/medical-reports-completion.pdf

Please see below also two documents that may help in putting your claim together :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch61.pdf

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dla.pdf

bro58
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by bro58. Reason: Edited username at member's request

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.