× Members

DLA low rate mobility, autism, and related issues

More
12 years 2 months ago #79177 by banito
Hi

with low rate mobility..

I have some questions about low rate mobility..

it boils down to needing guidance or supervision.. is that right?

What if I get lost when going to unfamiliar places and need to call a relative to find me and take me back..

But I may not be in unfamiliar places -most days-.

I tend to get lost in places in most places though especially in unfamiliar ones.

And when I am in such a situation, if I get back myself I can be out for possibly 5 hours longer than I should be.. having trouble navigating, and because of a bad short term memory. But if I can get back eventually, then does that mean I wouldn't qualify for low rate mobility?

What exactly has to happen to me for me to say that I -need- somebody to be with me?

I've heard that it's not enough to just have advice over the mobile, is that right?

normally though if I have my mobile its main use would be to call somebody to help me get back.

though I often don't use a mobile because i'm not in the habit of bringing it because I have trouble managing various people that call.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #79216 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:DLA low rate mobility, autism, and related issues
Hi Banito,

A general principle of DLA is that if you cannot do something in a reasonable time then that counts as not being able to do it at all.

If you go for a walk that should take half an hour and ends up taking five hours because you have such difficulty finding your way back then I would argue that this counts as being unable to do it without guidance from another person to help you return.

If that guidance is given solely over a mobile phone and there is no reason for you not to carry a mobile phone then this would not be sufficient. But it does not sound like this is the case for you. It sounds like you need another person to be physically present to guide you home in a reasonable time.

The reference to unfamiliar places is because many people, for example those with visual impairments, may be able to get to and from familiar places but not unfamiliar ones. So, if you have problems with familiar places then that simply denotes a more severe level of difficulty, it doesn't mean - in my view - that you can't qualify.

The best thing to do is give as much detail as possible on your form of what happens and how often and then, if you are not happy with the decision, consider appealing.

Good luck,

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 2 months ago #79239 by banito
thnaks,

Regarding unfamiliar places, does it mention unfamiliar places for those that are in unfamiliar places most days of the week?

since i've heard they only count that which is most days of the week.

More
12 years 2 months ago #79367 by Gordon
banito wrote:

thnaks,

Regarding unfamiliar places, does it mention unfamiliar places for those that are in unfamiliar places most days of the week?

since i've heard they only count that which is most days of the week.

You do not literally need to be in an unfamiliar place every day of the week to be eligible, it is more a case of IF you were in one, would you cope.

The key issue here is whether your condition varies or not?

If it does, then how many days a week would you have a problem, if you were in an unfamiliar place?

If your condition does not vary then it is not an issue.

Hope this makes sense.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.