× Members

PIP Mobility

More
12 years 3 months ago #81063 by Gareth56
PIP Mobility was created by Gareth56
As it stands does the assessment of the Mobility Component of PIP involve the ability to mobilze outside of the home?

Ta

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #81066 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:PIP Mobility
Gareth wrote:

As it stands does the assessment of the Mobility Component of PIP involve the ability to mobilze outside of the home?

Ta

I would be cutious in using "mobilise" as the draft criteria do not use this phrase.

As DLA only refers to mobility outside of the home I think it reasonable to assume PIP does as well.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
12 years 3 months ago #81071 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:PIP Mobility
Gordon wrote:

Gareth wrote:

Ta

I would be cutious in using "mobilise" as the draft criteria do not use this phrase.

As DLA only refers to mobility outside of the home I think it reasonable to assume PIP does as well.

Gordon

With respect Gordon, DLA also includes mobility indoors, not just outdoors.

Section 7. Moving about indoors

Things to think about include:

• Getting out of chairs. Do you suffer from pain or discomfort in your back or
legs which make it difficult to manage alone?

• Are you unsteady on your feet because of dizziness or breathing
difficulties?

• Walking around indoors. Do you need to hold onto furniture or use a
walking stick or zimmer frame to get around?

• Going up or down stairs. Do you need somebody with you to support your
weight or to help you to keep your balance?

• If you use a wheelchair, do you need somebody to push you or to help you
to get in and out of it?

Source : Disability Law Service

Section 8 also applies to both care and mobility

8. Falls or stumbles

This section is relevant to both the Mobility and Care components. Things to think about include:

• Have you had any falls?

• How frequent are they?

• Have you experienced any injuries as a result of falling?

• Do you need help to get up after a fall?• Do you have poor balance?

• Have falls been prevented because someone was around to help you?

• Are you only able to avoid falls by not moving around?

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 3 months ago #81074 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:PIP Mobility
I stand correct :blush:

Gordon

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
12 years 3 months ago #81082 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:PIP Mobility
Hi Gordon,

To err is to be human. :) We all make mistakes at times for all kinds of reasons, tiredness etc being one, and of course you have been very busy on the forum in recent weeks.

If I had a fiver for all the mistakes I've made over the years, it would pay for a holiday to somewhere warmer, as currently despite heating on including gas fires, we're still not warm.

Jim :huh:

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 3 months ago #81083 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic Re:PIP Mobility
Thank you gentlemen I'm obliged. I used the term mobilise in light of the government's redefinition of walking with respect to the mobilising descriptors in the WCA. :)

So where it says in the [draft] PIP assessment regs "Moving around" that could mean indoors and/or outdoors? I also note the other 'Mobility Activity' involves 'Planning and following a journey' this I take does involve an outdoor activity!!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris