× Members

Placed in support group - implications ?

More
12 years 2 months ago #81744 by MSHusband
Placed in support group - implications ? was created by MSHusband
Had a reply from DWP last week. They have placed my wife in the support group, on contribution-based ESA. Their breakdown of figures shows she will be receiving exactly what she has been under IB. However they stress that ESA is taxable.

This is the part confusing me, in what it means overall. I earn c. £40,000, will that have any effect ?

Is the reason it is taxable (unlike IB) so that *any* additional income now could trigger tax (unlike before) ?

Also, the letter gave no indication of when a review, or re-assessment would be required. Is there a standard period ? Currently our plan is to simply add all new letters between consultants and GPs (which it's our health authorities policy to copy to patients) to the previous ESA50 "pack", and submit that in future.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• harley
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #81745 by harley
As far as I'm aware IB was also taxable, as when I changed from IB to ESA I was sent my P45, which showed how much benefit I'd had. I am also in the support group.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
12 years 2 months ago #81746 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Placed in support group - implications ?
MSHusband

Both IB and ESA(CB) are liable to tax, however, some IB claimants had the there IB payments tax exempt due to their circumstances.

As this is your wifes claim, any liability will be hers and will depend on her personal circumstances (e.g. personal allowance) and what other income she receives.

If you request your wifes ESA85 if she had a medical, or ESA85A if she did not, then the prognosis is usually used to calculate the next assessment date.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 2 months ago #81754 by MSHusband
Replied by MSHusband on topic Re:Placed in support group - implications ?
- sorry, in excitement also forgot to thank the contributors here who eased the process for us !

So, we shall write back and request the ESA85A - clearly the ESA50 was as comprehensive as possible, which meant they didn't require a medical.

My wife receives no other income at all, but is on higher-rate DLA (with mobility component). Co-incidentally we did get a letter from the tax office informing us that the child-tax-credit will be withdrawn in April. Initially I thought it was due to the new regulations, and only realised after a few days it was because our son is 16 in April !!! So household income is down £40/month now.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #81789 by shrinathji
Replied by shrinathji on topic Re:Placed in support group - implications ?
Hi,
Just to let you know that if your son is still in full time education after he has turned 16, you can still get Tax Credits,you will have to contact them to inform them of this. However, this would also depend on your household income.

Good Luck.

Radhika.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #81851 by MSHusband
Replied by MSHusband on topic Re:Placed in support group - implications ?
Just to follow on:

Should we receive the ESA85A automatically, or do we have to explicitly request it ? Who should we contact ? I notice the letter informing us of the decision actually came from the local JobCentre plus, is this correct ?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.