× Members

Restoration of Age Related Tax Allowances & more !

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 3 days ago - 11 years 11 months ago #83918 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Restoration of Age Related Tax Allowances & more ! was created by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
To all members

This item although not ESA/DLA has been posted in Benefits News, but as a "one-off"
Steve Donnison, the site owner has kindly allowed me to post it in the forum also.

BUDGET 2012 'Granny tax is an outrageous assault on decent pensioners'

The shock scrapping of the age-related tax-free personal allowance was a blow to middle-income pensioners. From April next year the personal allowance will be frozen
for those aged 65 or over.

The aim is to phase out the age-related allowance over the next few years, bringing it into line with the personal allowance that applies to all taxpayers.

It means the current allowance for people between 65 and 74 of £10,500 and the allowance for those 75 and over will be frozen until they reach parity with the allowance for those of working age.

Taxpayers who are 65 after April 6 next year will no longer get the age-related allowance. From that date they will get the same allowance as those of working age of £9,205, so will be worse off by up to £322 per year at current rates.

The move will see more than four million pensioners with an annual gross income of between £10,000 and £25,400 have more of their income taxed as the changes take effect.

Estimates suggest the average pensioner will be £83 a year worse off in 2013-2014.The Exchequers tax take from this measure is expected to be £360 million next year, rising to more than £1 billion in 2015-2016.

The National Pensioners Convention, the campaigning voice of Britain's pensioners has put up an e-petition on the Downing St website.

I would urge all our pensioner members, those approaching pension age, or indeed any members prepared to support the petition to do so. This is the petition :

In the 2012 Budget the Government froze Old Age Pensioners Age Related Tax Allowances and cancelled them for those turning 65 after 5 April 2013.
We consider that at a time when pensioners are struggling to make ends meet and yet are a group of people due to age, health etc who often have extremely limited opportunity to make good lost income, this reduction in allowances is grossly unfair. The Government should therefore take immediate action to reverse the decisions on these allowances which were announced in the 2012 Budget.

You can sign the petition HERE

I am leaving the thread unlocked for the present, but please do not let this develop into a discussion on pensioners in general, otherwise it will have to be locked.

Many thanks.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Updated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
More
12 years 2 days ago #83975 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Restoration of Age Related Tax Allowances.
Hi All,

Thanks to all members who've signed this petition which has now reached nearly 30,000 in just a few days.

Just to clarify, the decision to freeze the Age Related Allowance will affect all members when they reach 65, as the freeze is permanent whilst the current Coalition Government is in power, which I suspect it won't be after the next General Election. !!

It's a pity that the organisations that represent disabled people couldn't come together and form for example a Disabled Persons Convention or similar title with one voice speaking for all chronically sick & disabled people, it would make a tremendous difference to how the Government treat chronically sick/disabled people.

For example, those of pensionable age currently get £200 -£250 per annum to help with heating costs because many elderly people are not very mobile.

However, this also applies to many chronically sick/disabled people under pensionable age, but they get no help whatsoever with heating costs which is morally wrong.

I'd be prepared to put up an e-petition on the Downing St website to try and get parity with the pensioners. However, the last time i did this, the petition only gained about 2,500 signatories; to succeed we need at least 100,000 signatories.

Please feel free to reply to this thread and I'll happily put up a new petition and to take the lead in setting up a Disabled Persons Convention as long as members are prepared to help to publicise this.

Many thanks again.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Topic Author
More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #84260 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Restoration of Age Related Tax Allowances.
Due to lack of support by members, only 4 replied, I am taking no further action to try and set up a national Disabled Persons Convention which would have campaigned for example for Winter Fuel Allowance to be paid to all disabled people irrespective of age.

Therefore, I am now locking this thread as I see no point in keeping it open.

Naturally, I am very disappointed at the lack of response, but understand that members may have other priorities.

Thanks again to all who signed the petition on Restoration of Age Related Tax Allowances. It has now reached nearly 48,000 in a week. As the petition runs until March 2013 it's pretty much certain it will reach the required 100,000 signatories to ensure it is further debated in the House of Commons.

You can sign the e-petition at the link in my original post above.

Best wishes to all.

Jim

Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Updated

• Topic Author
More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #84280 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Just a quick update, the e-petition has now reached over 50,000 signatories in just over a week, so as it runs until March 2013, it will easily reach the 100,000 needed for it to be debated in Parliament.

In response to several e-mails, I've now unlocked the thread.

Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Corrected pagination.

• Topic Author
More
11 years 11 months ago #84396 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Have been doing some research into this and have discovered the following

When the late Audrey Wise, the then Tory backbencher Nigel Lawson and her carried out indexation amendments to the 1977 Finance Act and were included in the income tax age allowance.

The simple effect is that the Chancellor must index the allowance each year, and if he does not want to do this he has to bring a parliamentary order to the Commons for approval or otherwise. I have checked and the requirement remains in law.

So George Osborne will have to back down, or make amendments via Parliament. I have written to my MP drawing his attention to this 'mistake'

Meanwhile the e-petition has now reached over 53,000 in less than two weeks !!

• Topic Author
More
11 years 11 months ago #84567 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
The petition has now reached over 58,500.

Thanks to who've signed and passed it on to other web sites. Most appreciated.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.