× Members

ESA Home visit for medical assessment

More
11 years 7 months ago #92261 by XWorried
ESA Home visit for medical assessment was created by XWorried
Hi I have been informed by letter that a Dr is coming to my home on Friday 28th Sept to carry out a medical. I am not sure what to expect, please can anyone help. I am migrating from IB & DLA, completed form in May. I suffer with Rhumatoid Arthritis, MECFS & associated fibromyligia etc. I am really worried. I have tried to find answers in searches before posting. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #92266 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:ESA Home visit for medical assessment
XWorried wrote:

Hi I have been informed by letter that a Dr is coming to my home on Friday 28th Sept to carry out a medical. I am not sure what to expect, please can anyone help. I am migrating from IB & DLA, completed form in May. I suffer with Rhumatoid Arthritis, MECFS & associated fibromyligia etc. I am really worried. I have tried to find answers in searches before posting. Thank you

The first thing to say is that the Work Capability Assessment is not a medical, beyond the possibility of the ATOS "doctor" taking your blood pressure and checking the flexibility of your joints (still quite unlikely), there will be no physical examination.

As they do not use a computer for home medicals, the format will be less structured than one at a HealthCare Centre, but you should expect similar types of questioning, so they will ask about your daily routine and other matters not directly associated with the ESA50 questionnaire. As an example; they might ask about you going out, whether you shop or see friends or realtives, but it is very unlikely that they will directly ask you about how far you can walk, or whether you can propel a manual wheelchair.

There are more details in the following FAQ and links to other documents with more details.

ESA Medical – What to expect

Remember that you are entitled to have someone with you for the assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #92268 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:ESA Home visit for medical assessment
XWorried wrote:

Hi I have been informed by letter that a Dr is coming to my home on Friday 28th Sept to carry out a medical. I am not , completed form in May. I suffer with Rhumatoid Arthritis, MECFS & associated fibromyligia etc. I am really worried. I have tried to find answers in searches before posting. Thank you

Hi XW,

You say, "I am migrating from IB & DLA".

Is this home "medical" as a result of being transferred from IB to ESA, or is it a DLA review ?

DLA and IB (ESA) are two totally seperate benefits, with totally different qualifying criteria.

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by bro58.

More
11 years 7 months ago #92270 by XWorried
Replied by XWorried on topic Re:ESA Home visit for medical assessment
Sorry should have been clearer I am on Incapacity Benefit, this is just to do with migrating onto esa....no one has mentioned the DLA as of yet, I am aware that they are seperate benefits I was awarded the DLA indefinately in 2003.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #92272 by XWorried
Replied by XWorried on topic Re:ESA Home visit for medical assessment
Thank you Gordon, will check it out.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

• bro58
11 years 7 months ago #92273 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:ESA Home visit for medical assessment
XWorried wrote:

Sorry should have been clearer I am on Incapacity Benefit, this is just to do with migrating onto esa....no one has mentioned the DLA as of yet, I am aware that they are seperate benefits I was awarded the DLA indefinately in 2003.

Thanks for the clarification XW. :)

As it is an ESA Assessment, Gordon's first response to you is relevant.

If you read the page from Gordon's link and the associated documents you should gain a good idea of any potential pitfalls, or "trick questions".

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.