× Members

contribution based esa and appeal advice please

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #95483 by bailey15
Hi Guys, a little advice required please

In 1997 I underwent a surgical procedure to correct a slipped disc. Unfortunately the surgery and the immediate after care were proven to be negligent and further damage was caused to my spinal chord. After being rendered disabled and unable to work since then I have been claiming incapacity benefit.
I have recently been migrated from IB to ESA contribution based from October 2012. This was assessed without any Atos medical exam. Unhappy with the decision and believing that I should be in the support group I followed your advice and in September I lodged an appeal, requesting the relevant documents that were used by the decision maker to arrive at their decision.
On your forums you recommend sending as much info regarding your disabilities as possible, medical reports etc. are these medical reports easily obtained from your GP ?
Unfortunately I couldn't acquire any info at short notice, I hope to get a report from my GP sorted quite soon.
I do however have previous medical assessments carried out in 1998-99 by 5 different independent consultants clearly stating that the damaged caused to my spinal chord is extensive and non-reversible.. I hope to use these to back up my case. Do you think that they are still relevant?

In early Nov I received an appointment on 26th Nov for an interview with a personal adviser. I contacted the local JC and informed them that I would not be able to attend on that day. They seemed to be understanding and have re scheduled for Dec 6, they also told me that if I was having difficulties getting in that they would do the interview over the phone.
Which would you recommend a face to face or a phone interview.
Please advise

Bentley
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #95496 by Gordon
Bailey

As your medical reports show that the damage in not reversible, they should be acceptable as evidence, however, if you had more up to date reports that show that this is still the case, this would be better.

It will certainly help your case, if you address the issues of your possibly having adapted to your condition(s), ATOS and the DWP may assume this, whether it is reasonable or not.

Have you seen your GP recently? They may be able to help you with more up to date information, you can always send any additional reports, etc. after returning the ESA50 but before a Decision is made.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 5 months ago #95498 by bailey15
hi gordon
i have recently moved and have changed my GP my records are in limbo at present. but my aim is to get a recent med report asap

thanks for response

• Red
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #95828 by Red
Hi Gordon,,My 5th and final operation on my back, and then told that I would be unable to work again was in 2005.Iam going to appeal having been placed in the WRAG group.At the appeal will the panel take into account my old letters of 2005,or should I now pay a consultant to give me yet again another medical to convince the panel of my disability .
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 4 months ago #95831 by Gordon
Red wrote:

Hi Gordon,,My 5th and final operation on my back, and then told that I would be unable to work again was in 2005.Iam going to appeal having been placed in the WRAG group.At the appeal will the panel take into account my old letters of 2005,or should I now pay a consultant to give me yet again another medical to convince the panel of my disability .

In principle, the panel must consider any evidence you submit, however, given the age of the reports they will undoubtedly ask the question as to whether your condition has changed and whether newer treatment options would improve your health, this may mean that will view your 2005 reports with less weight than one that was more recent.

However, before you look to get a more up todate report on your condition(s), you need to be aware that the statement "unable to work again" will not qualify you for the Suppport Group. By definition, members of the WRAG are already defined as Unfit for Work, so this statement merely confirms a placement in the WRAG is appropriate. To be placed in the SG you either need to meet one of the associated descriptor, or show that you are not capable of performing Work Related Activity, see

Qualifying for the Support Group

I hope this explains it better.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Red
11 years 4 months ago #95844 by Red
it does thanks Gordon.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.