ESA stopping mortgage interest payments, confused

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99649 by Lady_in_bed
I've had a letter from ESA headed:

Your claim for Employment and Support Allowance
Changes in social security benefits

Everything is staying the same I think apart from the bit that says

'Extra money towards your housing costs'

They are continuing this until April then they are deducting it completely so I will get no help with mortgage interest from then.
I'm really confused as to why. Could it be that they may have me on contribution ESA rather than income related?

I'm in the support group and changed from IB to ESA almost a year ago, they have never said which type of ESA I am on but I assumed it would be income related as I have not worked for some years and was on incapacity and income support previous to ESA so couldn't have had enough contributions for contribution ESA.

It says on the second page

How Employment and Support Allowance has been worked out
The Employment and Support Allowance Award

The payment of Employment and Support Allowance is based on your National Insurance Contribution records and any additional amount the law says you need to live on.

Does that sound like they have put me on contribution ESA? as I'm not sure if that kind of ESA gets help with mortgage interest?
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #99654 by Gordon
LiB

If you were on IB you will have been put on Contribution Based ESA.

Unless you were already receiving Income Support as a top-up to your IB then it is unlikely that you will also be receiving ESA(IR), but rather a Transitional Payment.

I am afraid we cannot offer advice on your Mortgage Interest payments, you need to get face to face advice, from somone who can sit down with you and go over all of the figures.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lady_in_bed

More
11 years 2 months ago #99656 by Lady_in_bed
Replied by Lady_in_bed on topic ESA stopping mortgage interest payments, confused
Thankyou Gordon,

I understand you cant help with the mortgage advice, I did not expect anyone here to be able to its just the confusion of why the change has happened.

I was on income support with the long term disability benefit added to it. What is a transitional payment? does it change after the first year? How could I be on anything else but income related because I've not worked for so long?

From the section on my letter below does it sound like I may have been put on contribution ESA?
'The payment of Employment and Support Allowance is based on your National Insurance Contribution records and any additional amount the law says you need to live on.'

• bro58
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99657 by bro58

Gordon wrote: LiB

If you were on IB you will have been put on Contribution Based ESA.

Unless you were already receiving Income Support as a top-up to your IB then it is unlikely that you will also be receiving ESA(IR), but rather a Transitional Payment.

I am afraid we cannot offer advice on your Mortgage Interest payments, you need to get face to face advice, from somone who can sit down with you and go over all of the figures.

Gordon

Hi G,

It looks like the OP may have been in receipt of IB with an IS top-up :

" I have not worked for some years and was on incapacity and income support previous to ESA so couldn't have had enough contributions for contribution ESA."

Can you confirm this Lib ? as if that was the case, it is highly likely that you would now be in receipt of CB ESA with an IR ESA top-up.

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99659 by bro58

Lady_in_bed wrote: Thankyou Gordon,

I understand you cant help with the mortgage advice, I did not expect anyone here to be able to its just the confusion of why the change has happened.

I was on income support with the long term disability benefit added to it. What is a transitional payment? does it change after the first year? How could I be on anything else but income related because I've not worked for so long?

From the section on my letter below does it sound like I may have been put on contribution ESA?
'The payment of Employment and Support Allowance is based on your National Insurance Contribution records and any additional amount the law says you need to live on.'

If you became "sick" straight after having to stop work, and had the necessary NI Contributions at that time, you would have been entitled to IB, and would have continued to receive IB, as there was no limit to how long you could receive IB, as there is now with CB ESA if not in The SG

Some claimants get IB with an income support top-up, because of their personal circumstances, such as being entitled to Disability Premiums as they are in receipt of MR or HR Care of DLA.

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by bro58.

More
11 years 2 months ago #99660 by Gordon

Lady_in_bed wrote: Thankyou Gordon,

OK, ignore my previous post :blush:

You should be on ESA(CB) with an ESA(IR) top up. Is this an SMI or a MIR payment? If the former, then I cannot see any immediate reason why it should stop, if the latter, then I bleiev this may only be payable for a fixed period.

Either way, you need advice.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lady_in_bed

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.