× Members

loss of free prescriptions/dental/glasses

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103182 by john tombs
loss of free prescriptions/dental/glasses was created by john tombs
Hi all Can I ask members if anyone who has been transfered off IS to ESA (support group) has been told they are no longer entitled to free prescriptions/dental/glasses as they are no longer getting IS. I thought no one would see a reduction in the benefits they would recieve, I believe IDS said that. I now have a bill for over £300.00 because I am apparently not entitled to this even though even ATOS said I was still disabled and put me into the support group after my medical. Any help greatfully accepted.
Cheers
John
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #103183 by Alan
Hiya,
I phoned Newcastle today in regards to the same thing.
Allegedly if you are in income related SG you still get full help with medical costs, if in Contribution-Based you have to apply and hopefully get at least some medical costs free.

• bro58
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #103184 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic loss of free prescriptions/dental/glasses

johnt wrote: Hi all Can I ask members if anyone who has been transfered off IS to ESA (support group) has been told they are no longer entitled to free prescriptions/dental/glasses as they are no longer getting IS. I thought no one would see a reduction in the benefits they would recieve, I believe IDS said that. I now have a bill for over £300.00 because I am apparently not entitled to this even though even ATOS said I was still disabled and put me into the support group after my medical. Any help greatfully accepted.
Cheers
John

Hi jt,

If you are successfully transferred from Income Support (IS) on the grounds of incapacity to ESA in either group,(WRAG or SG) then you should be receiving Income Related (IR) ESA .

Being in receipt of IR ESA, (even if it is only a penny) passports you to the same benefits as with IS, such a free prescriptions, HB, CTS, etc.

It should state on your Decision Notice letter whether any part of your ESA is IR ESA.

See : What will I be transferred to?

&

What will I be paid?

From our : IB, IS, SDA, Migration to ESA FAQ’s

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by bro58.

More
11 years 1 week ago #103185 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic loss of free prescriptions/dental/glasses
If you are CB ESA you are not entitled to free optical/dental or NHS prescription.
Not entitled to any pass porting benefits or anything unless you are eligible for any IR top ups.
If you are only provided with CB ESA you lose out on what could amount to £200 benefits pr week from other sources.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
11 years 1 week ago #103192 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic loss of free prescriptions/dental/glasses
You can also claim free prescriptions if you are unable to leave home without the help of another
person. Claim forms are available from your GP's surgery.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 1 week ago #103193 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic loss of free prescriptions/dental/glasses
Yes very true Jim, however you may only get this if your GP agrees and signs the forms for NHS prescriptions.
I was very lucky to have this, but you still have to pay for dental/optical treatment etc as this is not covered by the NHS prescription form.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.