× Members

DLA fiasco - need letter help - please!

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #103226 by cerwissy
DLA fiasco - need letter help - please! was created by cerwissy
Hello Everyone.

My DLA renewal has been plagued with problems and now I need to write an effective cover letter for my 'replacement' DLA application so would appriciate any help or suggestions.

*I feel the need to point out that my DWP files are classed as 'Sensitive' which means that special permission has to be requested from 'Section D' at Newcastle by any DWP staff that wish to access my files. The only problem here is that an email request usually takes 4-5 days to be granted therefore I am advised to be available for the DWP to make a call back to myself at this time.

Here's a timeline of events so far as background information:

26/09/12 (Wednesday):
Posted my DLA renewal form by guaranteed next day delivery by 1300hrs.

27/09/12 (Thursday):
Post Office tracking no. confirms the forms were delivered before 1300hrs.

30/09/12 (Sunday):
Existing claim expires. I know I left it until the last minute but the DLA renewal form was in DWP hands before expiration date. I then waited a decent amount of time before calling to check on progress as I was becoming a little concerned that I had heard nothing from DWP but I half expected this as I had read that DLA applications are taking longer and longer these days.

26/02/13:
Called DWP to enquire on progress. I was told there was no record at DWP that my application had been delivered, the form could not be found and that special permission would have to be sought as he could not access my files. He confirmed that, as this is a renewal application, that any payments would be backdated to start at the end of my last claim expiration (subject to DWP assessing my application) and that he would investigate further. I strongly objected to the suggestion he made that, if my form could not be found, then he would send me a PIP form or an application for a new claim for DLA. My stand is that my claim was received by them before the old claim expired therefore I would only be satisfied with a 'continuous' DLA award therefore not losing out financially due to DWP losing my form. At my insistance, he agreed to include a covering letter confirming my own concerns and what he had said. How long this would take after investigating my lost forms, I had no idea.

12/04/13:
Called DWP again as I had not heard from them. I explained again events to date, apoligies were offered and I was advised that they would call me back in 4-5 days after permission was granted to access my files. No call was made to me.

23/04/13:
My friend called DWP on my behalf (DWP had previously agreed to this) as I/we had not received the promised call back - again. The lady was updated with the whole sorry scenario and she promised to call back.

24/04/13:
I was called back at last! I explained the situation once more she again apologised but had no understanding of how this situation had reached this point. She said a new/replacement DLA application form would be sent to me and, once again, I asked for confirmation that this NEW APPLICATION form would not be treated as a NEW CLAIM but a continuous/renewal claim and she agreed that this would be the case. I aslo requested this to be confirmed in writing to which she
said 'she would see what she could do'.

25/04/13 (Today):
I received a new/replacement DLA application form with NO covering letter. However, the reply envelope has
"T. LEADER
UNIT 2 RM B107"
hand written above the printed address. Is this significant?

This is the part where I need help. I really concerned that DWP will totally ignore my requests for this DLA claim to be treated as a continuous claim from the previous claim that ended in September but rather treat this as a brand new claim so as not to backdate my payments. They had the form I sent in and they lost it. Since then I've got into debt borrowing money to make up the shortfall of not being in receipt of DLA payments so I'm desperate to write a very effective letter to the effect that I consider any DLA award should be backdated, in full, to September. I feel they will be reluctant to do this to save money and to avoid admissions of guilt. Can anyone offer any help or suggestions of what/how to write a cover letter for submission with this new/replacement claim? Ought I to consider making a more formal complaint at some point as well?
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #103229 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic DLA fiasco - need letter help - please!

cerwissy wrote: Hello Everyone.

My DLA renewal has been plagued with problems and now I need to write an effective cover letter for my 'replacement' DLA application so would appriciate any help or suggestions.

*I feel the need to point out that my DWP files are classed as 'Sensitive' which means that special permission has to be requested from 'Section D' at Newcastle by any DWP staff that wish to access my files. The only problem here is that an email request usually takes 4-5 days to be granted therefore I am advised to be available for the DWP to make a call back to myself at this time.

Here's a timeline of events so far as background information:

26/09/12 (Wednesday):
Posted my DLA renewal form by guaranteed next day delivery by 1300hrs.

27/09/12 (Thursday):
Post Office tracking no. confirms the forms were delivered before 1300hrs.

30/09/12 (Sunday):
Existing claim expires. I know I left it until the last minute but the DLA renewal form was in DWP hands before expiration date. I then waited a decent amount of time before calling to check on progress as I was becoming a little concerned that I had heard nothing from DWP but I half expected this as I had read that DLA applications are taking longer and longer these days.

26/02/13:
Called DWP to enquire on progress. I was told there was no record at DWP that my application had been delivered, the form could not be found and that special permission would have to be sought as he could not access my files. He confirmed that, as this is a renewal application, that any payments would be backdated to start at the end of my last claim expiration (subject to DWP assessing my application) and that he would investigate further. I strongly objected to the suggestion he made that, if my form could not be found, then he would send me a PIP form or an application for a new claim for DLA. My stand is that my claim was received by them before the old claim expired therefore I would only be satisfied with a 'continuous' DLA award therefore not losing out financially due to DWP losing my form. At my insistance, he agreed to include a covering letter confirming my own concerns and what he had said. How long this would take after investigating my lost forms, I had no idea.

12/04/13:
Called DWP again as I had not heard from them. I explained again events to date, apoligies were offered and I was advised that they would call me back in 4-5 days after permission was granted to access my files. No call was made to me.

23/04/13:
My friend called DWP on my behalf (DWP had previously agreed to this) as I/we had not received the promised call back - again. The lady was updated with the whole sorry scenario and she promised to call back.

24/04/13:
I was called back at last! I explained the situation once more she again apologised but had no understanding of how this situation had reached this point. She said a new/replacement DLA application form would be sent to me and, once again, I asked for confirmation that this NEW APPLICATION form would not be treated as a NEW CLAIM but a continuous/renewal claim and she agreed that this would be the case. I aslo requested this to be confirmed in writing to which she
said 'she would see what she could do'.

25/04/13 (Today):
I received a new/replacement DLA application form with NO covering letter. However, the reply envelope has
"T. LEADER
UNIT 2 RM B107"
hand written above the printed address. Is this significant?

This is the part where I need help. I really concerned that DWP will totally ignore my requests for this DLA claim to be treated as a continuous claim from the previous claim that ended in September but rather treat this as a brand new claim so as not to backdate my payments. They had the form I sent in and they lost it. Since then I've got into debt borrowing money to make up the shortfall of not being in receipt of DLA payments so I'm desperate to write a very effective letter to the effect that I consider any DLA award should be backdated, in full, to September. I feel they will be reluctant to do this to save money and to avoid admissions of guilt. Can anyone offer any help or suggestions of what/how to write a cover letter for submission with this new/replacement claim? Ought I to consider making a more formal complaint at some point as well?

Hi c,

I think a copy of what you have more or less written here should do the trick.

It may be best to do this in the form of an official complaint, and address the letter to the Manager.

Here is a run down of the procedure :

DWP Complaints process :

1. Complain to the office against which the complaint lies;

2. Complain to the District Manager;

3. Complain to the Chief Operating Officer (Chief Operating Officer,
Department for Work and Pensions, 6th Floor, Caxton House, Tothill Street, London SW1H 9NA;

4. Contact Independent Case Examiner (ICE)

5. Contact Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

At stages 1-3 the procedure specifies that the DWP should reply within 15 working days.

If no response is given by the 15 day deadline move on to the next stage.

Complaining to The DWP

You could also involve your M.P. and copy them in as well :

Contacting your MP

As always, keep copies of every thing.

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

If you are filling in The DLA form, and intend to return it ASAP, you could also put a covering letter with it, as above, informing them that you have made an official complaint and involved your M.P.

bro58

bro58

• bro58
11 years 3 weeks ago #103233 by bro58
Hi C,

If you wish to use our guides to fill in the DLA Claim Form, they can be found here : DLA Guides

Our : DLA FAQ’s may also help.

And here are two other links :

DM Guide AA & DLA :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch61.pdf

DR UK DLA & AA :

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/f23.htm

bro58

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #103238 by cerwissy
Replied by cerwissy on topic DLA fiasco - need letter help - please!
Hello bro58 and thanks for the very quick and helpful reply!

On your point:

"1. Complain to the office against which the complaint lies;"

I'm assuming this to be Warbreck House in Blackpool as this is where my original renewal form was sent in September? In my op I mention the hand written addition to the printed address on the return envelope ("T. LEADER UNIT 2 RM B107"), do you think a 'To whom it concerns' at this address be sufficient? I have no knowledge of any specific names or administration positions.

Thanks once again.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #103242 by cerwissy
Replied by cerwissy on topic DLA fiasco - need letter help - please!
:) Many thanks again, I'm sure I'll find my way around eventually but it's trying to remember it all that'll be the problem! One step at a time...

• bro58
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #103245 by bro58

cerwissy wrote: Hello bro58 and thanks for the very quick and helpful reply!

On your point:

"1. Complain to the office against which the complaint lies;"

I'm assuming this to be Warbreck House in Blackpool as this is where my original renewal form was sent in September? In my op I mention the hand written addition to the printed address on the return envelope ("T. LEADER UNIT 2 RM B107"), do you think a 'To whom it concerns' at this address be sufficient? I have no knowledge of any specific names or administration positions.

Thanks once again.

Hi c,

As Warbreck House, where your original DLA Form was sent, seems to be the office from which your complaint has originated, that would be correct.

Yes, I would use that address verbatim, when returning your DLA Form, as the Team Leader in question seems to want to deal with it personally.

With respect to your actually complaint, you could also address this to the Team Leader, or The Manager.

It may help if you write "Complaint" on the top left of the envelope.

Don't forget to put your name, DOB and NINO at the top of all pages of the letter.

You do seem to be very organised, and literate, that's why I couldn't really add much to your OP. :)

Good luck ,and please keep us updated.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.