× Members

ESA - mental health problems not in ESA form50?

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #106988 by bisley
I have asked my relative's G.P. to provide a medical report in respect of at least his physical problems. He has refused to do this and has said that he will complete and return a form which the DWP will send to him without any input from my relative about his health. I vaguely remember reading on this forum about the form he is referring to which I believe is form 113? Can you please supply a specimen of this form so that I may have an idea about it's questions.
What concerns me is that the G.P. may not state all relevant health conditions e.g. my relative has a skin condition on his hands so would not be able to use an imaginary wheelchair relating to the mobility criteria.
The G.P. was dismissive and did not want any information from my relative. At several appointments we have had to correct the G.P. about facts relating to my relative and are also worried that he may give incorrect information to the DWP and we will not have an opportunity to correct it.
My relative was treated by a respiratory medicine consultant in hospital some 6 weeks ago. Do you think that I should contact him for a report? My relative has appointments for a CT scan, respiratory medicine consultant's clinic and echocardiogram but none of these will take place before we return the form.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #106996 by

bisley wrote: I have asked my relative's G.P. to provide a medical report in respect of at least his physical problems. He has refused to do this and has said that he will complete and return a form which the DWP will send to him without any input from my relative about his health. I vaguely remember reading on this forum about the form he is referring to which I believe is form 113? Can you please supply a specimen of this form so that I may have an idea about it's questions.
What concerns me is that the G.P. may not state all relevant health conditions e.g. my relative has a skin condition on his hands so would not be able to use an imaginary wheelchair relating to the mobility criteria.
The G.P. was dismissive and did not want any information from my relative. At several appointments we have had to correct the G.P. about facts relating to my relative and are also worried that he may give incorrect information to the DWP and we will not have an opportunity to correct it.
My relative was treated by a respiratory medicine consultant in hospital some 6 weeks ago. Do you think that I should contact him for a report? My relative has appointments for a CT scan, respiratory medicine consultant's clinic and echocardiogram but none of these will take place before we return the form.

Hi b,

A lot of G.P.'s are taking the stance that they will not provide reports/ letters of support for their patients, but will fill in an ESA113 if required to do so by The DWP.

They are not contractually obliged to provided letters of support for patients, even if they offer to pay. However they are obliged to fill in questionnaires/reports, etc sent by The DWP.

The problem is that The DWP/ATOS seldom send ESA113's to a claimant's G.P. and are not obliged to do so, see :

ESA 113 Questionnaire

&

G.P.’s Completing Medical Reports for DWP

You can gain copies of their G.P. medical records, by making a request at the practice reception :

Requesting your medical records

&

Charging for medical records

As you will see there will be a charge.

You could then use any relevant extracts as evidence.

You would have to contact PALS at the Hospital in question regarding the Consultant's reports, the same would apply for any CT Scans, X-Rays, etc.

It will be the reports that accompany any such scans, X-Rays, etc that would be important.

You may well find that such reports and letters from Consultant were included in the G.P. records.

You can forward any evidence that you obtain after returning The ESA50, to the same ATOS address, as soon as you have it.

You could also send copies FAO The DWP ESA DM at the Benefits Office dealing with the ESA.

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by .

More
10 years 9 months ago #107011 by bisley
Thanks bro for your earlier reply.

I have further questions:

1. Do the additional sheets of further information to be attached to esa50 01/13, have to be individually signed by the claimant?

2. With regard to my relative's physical health, I believe that the criteria of mobility, dexterity and exceptional circumstances apply. My relative had permanent pulmonary embolus, heart failure, atrial fibrillation and a skin condition on his hands.
My relative has refused to see a Dermatologist to treat his skin condition, will this disqualify him in any way?
With specific reference to exceptional circumstances and the substantial risk to physical health; the Disability Rights Handbook (page 77) states that the risk should be linked to the work, and any work considered should be work the claimant could realistically do according to the claimant's education and skills (R(IB)2/09).
My relative has breathing difficulty and can sit but has worked all his life in farming and has not been responsible for office work. Can the DWP argue that he could attend interviews and training for sedentary work and put him in the work related activity group. (Remember my relative is so far unwilling to agree that he has mental health problems)
Any advice will be gratefully received.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #107066 by bisley
To all mods

I hesitate to post but I wonder if you are yet in a position to reply to my post which was 23 hours ago. I know Jim posted that the mods were suffering with the heat. I just want to check that I have not been forgotten.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 9 months ago #107069 by Gordon
Bisley

Sorry, it looks like it slipped through :(

1. Additional sheets do not need to be signed unless a friend or relative has made a statement, but they do need to have the claimants full name, date of birth and National Insurance Number.

2. They need to explain why they have refused to see a Dermatologist, whilst it should not count against them if their reasons are reasonable, it may still colour how ATOS or the DWP will look at it, especially if they are hoping to score points because of it.

3. There are two Exceptional Circumstances Regulations; Regulation 29 which considers whether working would be a danger to the claimant and results in a WRAG placement if met, and Regulation 35 which looks at whether there would be a danger from Work Related Activity and results in a Support Group placement.

If the Decision being challenged was made after 28 January then Reg. 29 is amended to include reasonable changes to the working environment to accommodate the claimant and treatment that has been prescribed by a doctor. See the latest guides for more details.

Unfortunately, the DWP can assume that a desk based job would be reasonable; for example a call centre, you need to show that any type of work is not reasonable even where there are changes to the working environment, to be placed in the WRAG under Reg.29.

If you can show that Work Related Activity would be a danger (Reg.35), then they may be placed in the Support Group, however, there is no clear definition of what WRA consists of, so you cannot make a generic statement, you need to be specific about the activities and why the claimant could not carry them out.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #107155 by bisley
Thank you for your reply Gordon.

Are you absolutely sure that the latest exceptional circumstance regulation for the WRAG and Support Group refers to ANY type of work? The Disability Rights handbook has been published since the amended regulation and indeed refers to the amended wording of reasonable adjustments and medication. My relative has done manual farmwork and ignoring his mental health, does not have the education or skills for office work. According to the Disability Rights Handbook, the work related activity should be work the claimant could realistically do according to the claimant's education or skills.

Can you please supply details of all the activities that are classed as work-related activity that you are aware of. I vaguely remember reading that claimants had to work under the work programme.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.