× Members

PIP Chief says 1 million could work.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #110177 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
PIP Chief says 1 million could work. was created by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
For information only, due to News not working correctly for me.

Why Britain should expect more from the disabled for their own good, by the paralysed doctor in charge of assessing benefits claims.

Dr Stephen Duckworth was paralysed in a rugby accident aged 20
Now he heads team assessing whether or not disabled people are fit to work
Says that the disabled should be encouraged to be independent

The paralysed man in charge of assessing benefit claimants has said the UK expects too little of disabled people.

Dr Stephen Duckworth, who broke his neck during a rugby accident 33 years ago, said society is letting down the disabled by not demanding a contribution from them.

The 53-year-old now leads the team that will assess those who apply for the personal independence payments, which will replace the disability living allowance.

Dr Duckworth – who trained himself to breathe by using his diaphragm rather than his chest muscles – believes more than 20 per cent of Britain’s five million disabled have wrongly become dependent on benefits.

He said ‘at least a million, probably north of a million’ of those ‘deemed to be disabled... have got there through system failure and the way society is organised’.

The father of four – who receives DLA himself and will be assessed for the new benefit – said that minor injuries had become ‘a very common avenue towards multiple benefit receipt’.

Full story

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #110191 by killbot99
Replied by killbot99 on topic PIP Chief says 1 million could work.
So how comes he is claiming DLA surely he should set an example to us all and struggle bravely on and I wonder who will carry out his PIP assessment and will he be turned down.

More
10 years 7 months ago #110201 by killbot99
Replied by killbot99 on topic PIP Chief says 1 million could work.
PIP and DLA are not out of work benefits anyway.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110207 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic PIP Chief says 1 million could work.
Yes, I know that, but Dr Duckworth appears to think different. This was my printed reply to the story in the Daily Mail :

There are many disabled people who use a wheelchair and still work. I have multiple sclerosis, COPD, and asthma despite being a lifelong non-smoker. I've been in an electric wheelchair since 1986 and worked as a Welfare Rights Lawyer until I was 63 years old.

I then sat on Social Security Appeal Tribunals but had to retire when I was 70 years old. However, there are many people who have conditions which make it impossible to do any work, especially those with multiple pathologies.

The main problem from my experience, is that employers who are faced with employing a fit and healthy person, or one who has a history of ill-health or disability will in most cases choose the former rather than the latter. Employers need to change their attitude to employing disabled people, and the DWP need to accept that there are people who would like to work, but illness or disability prevents them from doing so.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law).
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
10 years 7 months ago #110217 by Libra45
Replied by Libra45 on topic PIP Chief says 1 million could work.
Hi Jim40!

I read the Daily Mail online earlier and I had the feeling it was you Jim!

:P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law), an ex nurse

More
10 years 7 months ago #110244 by welshlass
Replied by welshlass on topic PIP Chief says 1 million could work.
Hi
There always seems to be major problems in people understanding the basic things of: you can be sick, you can be disabled and you can be both sick and disabled.
Every individual has individual unique circumstances and the current systems just don't seem to cope.
Thanks- had my say- keep up the good work, I would not have done it without you all. :)

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.