× Members

ESA: Care needs in demonstrating limitations

• MariW
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110643 by MariW
Is the amount and type of care a claimant requires throughout a day taken into account when applying for ESA? I appreciate that ESA is not DLA/PIP but a claimant’s care requirement is surely one means of demonstrating physical and/or psychological limitations.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #110644 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA: Care needs in demonstrating limitations
No, care needs are not considered within the ESA assessment unless they can be linked to the specific descriptors.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW

• MariW
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
10 years 7 months ago #110647 by MariW
In writing of draft answers I have tried to demonstrate how 24/7 care requirements gel with physicall limitations that meet the LCWRA descriptors. No good...? :(

10 years 7 months ago #110649 by

MariW wrote: Is the amount and type of care a claimant requires throughout a day taken into account when applying for ESA? I appreciate that ESA is not DLA/PIP but a claimant’s care requirement is surely one means of demonstrating physical and/or psychological limitations.

Hi MW,

As you know, DLA is awarded for care needs and/or mobility limitations.

ESA is awarded due to having Limited Capability for Work (LCW) and/or Limited Capability for Work Related Activity. (LCWRA)

A high level of care needs could be used to indicate that a claimant also has a high level of limitations with respect to The ESA WCA.

However, it would be important to tie the care needs to the limitations and the relevant ESA descriptors.

It would not be enough to simply state that, e.g. as one is in receipt of HR Care that they then automatically have LCW and/or LCWRA.

If that was the case all HR Care DLA recipients would be exempt from the ESA WCA, which is not the case.

bro58

• MariW
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
10 years 7 months ago #110661 by MariW
Thanks, bro588,
I am only making reference to care needs where there is an obvious relationship to extreme incapacity to perform an activity or task. I don’t want too much clutter. Like Radika, I am repeating much of the same information from question to question in relation to the different LCWRA descriptors.

More
10 years 7 months ago #110665 by shrinathji
Replied by shrinathji on topic ESA: Care needs in demonstrating limitations
Hi MariW,

I think I know where you are coming from.

In my friends ESA I have stated that although she mobilises with a crutch, however, there are days due to her Fabro where she cannot grip her crutch and it would be unsafe to use it, so she has to rely on someone else to hold onto as she has severe CRPS in her knees.

Hope this helps.

Radhika
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.