× Members

Housing benefit

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111758 by Jules
Housing benefit was created by Jules
Hello, I am awaiting decision on the WCA. Should I fail it, and lose the esa allowance and DLA would I lose the housing benefit as well ? Thanks Julie
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #111760 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Housing benefit

Julie wrote: Hello, I am awaiting decision on the WCA. Should I fail it, and lose the esa allowance and DLA would I lose the housing benefit as well ? Thanks Julie

If you are found Fit for Work the DWP will notify your Local Authority and they will stop further payments.

If you appeal the FfW Decision then you should notify your LA and they should be able to re-instate your HB (see below).

If you do not appeal, then you can make a zero income claim for Housing Benefit, I am afraid I do not know how quickly this will be processed, but I would not expect it to take too long.

The situation may change when Mandatory Considerations come into effect (22 October), as you will not be able to make an appeal until the DWP have completed a Reconsideration, at this time it is not clear how Local Authorities will treat claimants in this situation.

Claimants can in principle claim JSA which should passport them to Housing Benefit and if they do not, there is still the option for a zero income claim, but there will undoubtedly be additional delays in the processing of claims.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 7 months ago #111761 by Jules
Replied by Jules on topic Housing benefit
Thank you Gordon, at least I have some idea now.

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111763 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Housing benefit
Hi J,

A little addition to Gordon's excellent advice.

If you do receive notification from The DWP of a "fit for work" decision, I would contact the HB Department straight away, yourself, informing them that you intend to appeal, if that is the case.

This will prevent an overpayment of HB occurring if the DWP fail to inform them.

One of my family is a an Area Housing Manager, and has had to deal with tenants who have received an overpayment of HB, as mentioned above.

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bro58.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111764 by Jules
Replied by Jules on topic Housing benefit
Thank you bro58 - all helpful advice. Julie
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
10 years 7 months ago #111765 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Housing benefit

Julie wrote: Thank you bro58 - all helpful advice. Julie

Hi J,

I would also inform your Landlord/Housing Association at your earliest convenience, and keep them updated with regards to the situation.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.