× Members

Enhanced PIP rate re mobility

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112300 by ESA Headache
Enhanced PIP rate re mobility was created by ESA Headache
I notice that the higher rate PIP mobility is now 20 metres. Is this still correct 'Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid' to gain the higher rate PIP.

This does not apply to me but to a member of my family but who would like to know the answer, at the moment they have been awarded the higher rate of DLA 'ongoing' which I know will change under the PIP scheme
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112302 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Enhanced PIP rate re mobility

ESA Headache wrote: I notice that the higher rate PIP mobility is now 20 metres. Is this still correct 'Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid' to gain the higher rate PIP.

This does not apply to me but to a member of my family but who would like to know the answer, at the moment they have been awarded the higher rate of DLA 'ongoing' which I know will change under the PIP scheme

None of the PIP criteria have changed, the review was to see whether the distance for the Enhanced Rate should be increased from 20m to 50m to bring it in-line with the generally accepted distance for DLA.

See our PIP Claim guide for more information

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112305 by ESA Headache
Replied by ESA Headache on topic Enhanced PIP rate re mobility
Thanks Gordon

If someone could walk the 20 metres but due to having 1 leg longer than the other and being completely 'flat footed' and so having to wear 'custom made' orthotics which include a 'built up heel' plus having a knee that swells approx. every other week plus walking = knee to swell more be taken into consideration.

The person was granted DLA 'high rate' mobility for life, but I realise that every penny the Government can 'steal' from people with a disability they will

More
10 years 6 months ago #112306 by Gordon

ESA Headache wrote: Thanks Gordon

If someone could walk the 20 metres but due to having 1 leg longer than the other and being completely 'flat footed' and so having to wear 'custom made' orthotics which include a 'built up heel' plus having a knee that swells approx. every other week plus walking = knee to swell more be taken into consideration.

The person was granted DLA 'high rate' mobility for life, but I realise that every penny the Government can 'steal' from people with a disability they will

As of today we have had only one member complete the assessment process and I have only seen a handful of result reported on other forums, so it is impossible to say at this time how Mobility awards will be made and how tight the DWP will be on sticking to the criteria.

The key issue is whether your relation can walk the 20m reliably or not

Guidance issued by the DWP states that you need to be able to complete an activity ‘reliably’ in order for it to apply. According to the guidance, ‘reliably’ means whether you can do so:

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112307 by ESA Headache
Replied by ESA Headache on topic Enhanced PIP rate re mobility
20 metres would not be a problem. So I would assume that pain, swelling etc may not be taken into consideration. Early days yet to start thinking about form filling I guess

More
10 years 6 months ago #112310 by Gordon

ESA Headache wrote: 20 metres would not be a problem. So I would assume that pain, swelling etc may not be taken into consideration. Early days yet to start thinking about form filling I guess

Unlike DLA which refers to "severe discomfort" and ESA which uses "significant discomfort", the PIP criteria make no specific reference to how carrying out an action affects the claimant.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.