Login FormClose

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and UC Updates

Our fortnightly bulletin, with over 80,000 subscribers, is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Find out what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Written submissions and representatives

Written submissions and representatives 6 months 2 weeks ago #225902


I have just prepared a written submission on behalf of my sister for her ESA appeal. I am acting as her representative

All the information came from her but I was the one who actually wrote it as due to her difficulties she was unable to put a submission together herself. I used the first person as if she was writing it.

Our question is - do we need to explicitly say that I put it together or will the tribunal know that by virtue of the fact I am her representative?

My sister is worried that if we don't point this out they will think she wrote it and will think she is more 'able' than she actually is. Conversely I'm worried that if I say I put it together they will think the information may not have all come from her (which is not true).

We can't decide who is right so we'd be so grateful of your advice.

Also, when submitting additional evidence, should I submit it in my name on her behalf as her representative or should I just write a letter 'from' her.

Sorry if these questions are basic. I have looked at the guides and they have been just fantastic in helping me to get the submission together, but I'm not sure about these points.

Thank you so much as ever


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Written submissions and representatives 6 months 1 week ago #225944


I would include a short note explaining how and why the submission was prepared in this way.

You need to be very careful about how you present yourself to the panel. A Representative (capital R) is a trained Welfare Advisor with knowledge of Social Security benefit, Case Law and Tribunal procedure. You are acting as a representative (small r) assisting your sister with her appeal.

So any papers submitted for the appeal should be in your sister's name.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: GordonGaryBISTraceyJayneL