Login FormClose

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and UC Updates

Our fortnightly bulletin, with over 80,000 subscribers, is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Find out what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Contributory ESA and money

Contributory ESA and money 6 months 1 week ago #226141

I get contribution based ESA. I know in general I don’t have to declare savings and household income. My grandfather recently died and I’m getting some inheritance via a trust. This won’t be a regular income but I know tax wise I declare it as income.

On this site it says re Contributory ESA “It does not matter what other income or savings you have, other than any occupational or personal pension.“ I’ve read similar on Disability Rights UK. Does this mean I’m fine not saying anything ESA wise because it’s not money I’ve earned by working or a pension? I just have to declare it to the HMRC to pay tax.

We know that it’s best not to contact the DWP unnecessarily!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Contributory ESA and money 6 months 1 week ago #226166


Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

The inheritance will not affect your ESA if you are only receiving ESA(CB) and therefore there is no specific reason for you to contact the DWP but be aware, if you have told HMRC about the inheritance it is likely that they will pass the information onto the DWP and we have had members contacted for information about what they received.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jenny Horner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: GordonGaryBISTraceyJayneL