Login FormClose

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and UC Updates

Our fortnightly bulletin, with over 80,000 subscribers, is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Find out what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: esa or UC? Please help

esa or UC? Please help 1 week 2 days ago #227666

hi I am back in the position of having to claim sickness benefits after a period of wellness.I live in the Dumfries area of Scotland an have been told that I can no longer claim ESA contribution based benefit but HAVE to claim Universal Credit.As you know ESA payments are based on individual circumstance where as UC would take into consideration my husbands circumstances.He is ill but has been denied esa after a recent assessment failed and my earnings have been our only income which I have never minded but it has resulted in increased stress and depression.He genuinely has a really bad back and is reluctant to claim job seekers as he fears they will make him do a job which aggravates the arthritis in his back.If any one can help us.I would be really grateful thanks x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

esa or UC? Please help 1 week 1 day ago #227679


Contribution ESA is no longer available for new claims, however, you might be able to claim New Style ESA which is the UC equivalent.

You will need to have a minimum of 50 weeks of NI Contributions in the Tax Years 2016-17 and 2017-18.

If you don't have the required NICs, then your only choice is to claim Universal Credit and as you have posted this will be as a couple.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lauren

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: GordonIzzy1010