Login FormClose

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1


severe disability premium 7 months 1 week ago #241263

am in similar position.
we were on ESA support couples rate - I am the one with the disablities - on standard rate PIP too.
We got forced onto UC 2 months ago and they put my wife on JSA; we also have 2 kids (14+7).
I am now getting severe pain in my right shoulder and side and think my condition is worsening (arthritis/bowels/spinal and back pain previously and mobility and pain issues as well as anxiety). Cant use right hand anymore or arm a lot of time due to severe pain. Also more sleep issues.
Want my wife to be designated as my carer and moved onto couples rate and no more JSA - how do we do that?
Also now she is being threatened with sanctions because she hasn't found any work yet, even though we are doing all the logs satisfactorily every week.

Feel like they are sticking a gun in our faces.

Before I got sick 8 years ago I paid top rate tax for 20yrs+, nice to know the govt just trousered the money and now want to throw us under the bus.

Any help would be great thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

severe disability premium 7 months 1 week ago #241283

Hi fitzgibbonmd

I've moved your post to its own topic, we ask members not to post their questions in other member's topics as it can lead to the wrong advice being given or taken.

When you say you were forced onto UC, why were you forced, did you fail an assessment, if you did, did you not ask for a MR then appeal?

You cannot claim both UC and JSA at the same time unless JSA is contribution based JSA which would be only paid for 6 months. Once you are in receipt of UC you cannot go back on to the old legacy benefits.

Your wife can claim CA but remember, as with most benefits what you get in one hand you loose in the other, but you can get an additional carer element £160.20 pm.

You say that you are now on UC, have you applied for limited capability for work related activity element (LCWRA), Check out our Guides www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1 . You will need a med 3 certificate from your doctor to apply, you have to put the request in your journal, I would also have a chat with your workcoach. You will then be sent a UC50 form to complete, our guides as mentioned above can help you with this.

If you have any further questions then do come back to the forum.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: GordonGaryBIS

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and UC Updates

Our fortnightly bulletin, with over 80,000 subscribers, is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Find out what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.

Form Heading