Login FormClose

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and UC Updates

Over 80,000 claimants and professionals subscribe to the UK's leading source of benefits news.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1


Contacting DWP by email for ESA/UC 1 month 2 weeks ago #249945


Is there any way to liaise with the DWP by email for ESA/UC?

I used the PIP Alternative Formats Unit in 2016-17 entirely by email and they were actually civilised. I am deaf and I don't use the phone and can't sign well enough for signvideo.

Also, can anyone recommend a good benefits checker. I can't work out which benefit I should apply for (if my job goes tits up - it's in limbo now) with savings over the income limit, a partner who doesn't work but isn't disabled, PIP and tax/NI payments for 2018-19 and 2019-20 but not 2017-18. I daren't apply for UC without being sure I am not eligible for an ESA because of the lobster pot principle. I am horribly confused about which ESA I am eligible for despite reading the latest B&W guide and I keep getting told conflicting info by calculators and well-meaning people.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Contacting DWP by email for ESA/UC 1 month 2 weeks ago #249947


Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Allegedly, you can communicate with the DWP via email but I don't know anybody who has been able to arrange it.

First, you need to contact the DWP it will have to be in writing unless you can get someone to phone on your behalf. Apparently you need to ask for an email address to be provided by the DWP for your exclusive use, once you have this email address then you should be able to contact them, however, this won't work for all benefits, for example; Universal Credit has its own online Journal.

As to a calculator, have a look at the following


If you cannot work due to illness or disability then you have two options;

New Style ESA which will require you to have a minimum of 50 weeks of NI Contributions in both of the Tax Years 2017-18 and 2018-19.


Universal Credit, you will be claiming this as a couple so there will be an expectation that your partner will be able to seek work. You will be assessed to see if you have Limited Capability for Work.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: GordonGaryBIS