Login FormClose

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and DLA Updates

Our fortnightly updates bulletin is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Get the facts about what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Liviing with partner and savings ESA related.

Liviing with partner and savings ESA related. 10 months 3 weeks ago #207374


New poster here. Apologies if this topic has been done to death, I've read so much and brain is frazzled. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My partner suffers with physical ill health, she has received mixed diagnosis's and consultations and tests are ongoing both NHS & Private, much of which has led to increased anxiety with which she already suffers.

She is currently not any any benefits and struggling to stay in employment. In her current role for the last 3 1/2 years she has been part time working 18.45 hours per work on a £19,890 pro rata salary. At her place of work she has worked overall for over 10 years with no break from empoyment.

Unfortunately we are not living with each other permanently at present as she fears that if she has to come out of work, she will receive no financial support. I myself have no health problems, I am in permanent full time employment and privately rent. My earnings are £21,900 per annum. I do whatever I can to help her both financially and emotionally and do day to day things such as getting her shopping, or carrying out tasks and errands which she struggles with.

We believe that if she is unable to carry on working and deemed unfit to work she may be entitled to contribution based ESA.

We are trying to find out the following;

1> If she is entitled to contribution based ESA, can she claim this benefit and still with with me.

2> If she can claim and we live together and she was put in to the support group (not work related), how long can she claim contribution based ESA for.

3> I have personal savings of £9000. Can this stop her from claiming c.based ESA or decrease the benefit she receives?

4> Her Dad wants to give her £30,000 to put into a savings account for a deposit on a mortgage. Would this donation have an effect on her claiming c.based ESA.

She is desperate to find help and move forward. She doesn't want to live with her parents, and at the same time doesn't want to come out of work. For the last few years she has literally gone to work, then spent the rest of the time in bed feeling ill, looking for help or attending medical appointments.

If any one can help with advice for the above it really will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Liviing with partner and savings ESA related. 10 months 3 weeks ago #207416


Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

1, To be entitled to ESA(CB) she needs to have a minimum of 50 weeks of NI Contributions in the two Tax Years 2015-16 and 2016-17.

2. There is no limit as long as remains entitled to the SG.

3. ESA(CB) takes no account of the households savings and assets.

4. As (3).

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Liviing with partner and savings ESA related. 10 months 2 weeks ago #207840

Apologies for the late reply Gordon.
Many thanks for the welcome and advice it is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: bro58GordonMrs HurtybackIzzy1010LisaJenny Clarke