Login FormClose

Get the Benefits you're entitled to

Don't lose out just because the system isn't fair.

Are you being transferred from Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to Personal Independence Payment (PIP)? Or from ESA to Universal Credit? Are you making a fresh claim or renewal claim? Or pursuing a mandatory reconsideration or appeal for ESA, PIP or UC?

Are you worried that the forms are complex and unclear, the medicals may be rushed and inaccurate and the decisions unfair? If so, use our expert, step-by-step guides and give yourself the best possible chance of getting your legal entitlement.

We’ll warn you of pitfalls, offer you specialist tips and tactics and guide you through every part of this bewildering process.

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and UC Updates

Over 80,000 claimants and professionals subscribe to the UK's leading source of benefits news.


What is a healthcare professional?

A healthcare professional is a healthcare worker employed by an organisation called HAAS to carry out medical assessments for the DWP.  This includes the work capability assessment, the medical test for employment and support allowance (ESA).

So, is a healthcare professional a doctor then?

The healthcare professional may be a doctor, nurse, occupational therapist, or physiotherapist.

Will the healthcare professional have specialist knowledge of my condition?

No, almost certainly not.  Most mental health assessments, for example, are carried out by non-specialist nurses.

What do I need to tell the healthcare professional?

You need to tell the healthcare professional how your condition affects you when performing different tasks, including any pain or tiredness you feel.  As well as asking you specific questions, the healthcare professional will be observing you all of the time.

What happens if I do not go to see the healthcare professional?

Unless you can show good cause for not going to see the healthcare professional you could lose your employment and support allowance. You may, for example, have been too ill to attend. If this is the case you need to let the DWP know the reason for your non-attendance as soon as you are able.